Help, lost a hen, not sure why.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nittanyxi, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    one of my 8mo old hens was just laying dead in the coop this morning. I have 21 total. 5 bantam and 16 standard.
    I have no idea why she died. not predator related as the coop is secure and they don't free range.
    It was one of the standard breeds. she had 5 toes looked like an australorp/faverolla mix. fully feathered, not being picked on. biggest bird in the flock. hadn't started laying yet. she looked fine yesterday and didnt' show any signs of being ill.It was very cold that last couple of nights but all the other birds look well.

Any ideas on what could have went wrong?
    Still think it's ok to eat the eggs from the other hens?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. nittanyxi

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone?

3. labpac4

labpac4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    So sorry for your loss; I just lost my first bird today too. It's a really rotten feeling! I'm sorry.

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Do you happen to remember what position you found her body in?

5. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    maybe she was egg bound? i dont think they show any symptoms of being egg bound....they just stop laying and die

6. nittanyxi

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    she was just laying on her side in the coop. other than being dead she looked quite good.

7. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    thats brobly what it is [​IMG]

8. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately that happens sometimes, not only with chickens but livestock as well and we may never know the reason why a apparently healthy animal just up and dies. Only sure way sometimes would be a costly necropsy by a vet. She may have choked on something or had something internally malfunction. Without any outward signs of trauma it is a hard thing to call. Know this is of no help but I am sorry for your loss...

9. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    At this point, with the rest of your flock happy and healthy, I would not worry about eating the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by