Help! Lost hen came home with 7 babies!!

Country Girl13

Hatching
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Hello all! I am somewhat new to raising chickens. And have a small flock i hand raised. One of my sweet hens disappeared some time ago... they are free range and we have had a couple of losses. but today she came out of the woods with 7 babies!

Now what??? How do i care for her and her babies?? Cant seem to ask the right questions on searching BYC site, so would appreciate any suggestions on the best place to look for answers. Thanks so much!

Welcome to BYC! And congrats on the chicks!

Make sure they can't drown, that they can get into the coop and rest on the floor, and that they get some chick food for the first 16-20 weeks of life. Otherwise, the mother will do most of the work (keeping them warm, showing them food and water, protecting them, ect).

Best of luck!
smile.png

Glad that was a story with a happy ending. Just give your hen a safe, secure place to nest and care for her babies. She will know what to do. Make sure she has feed and water and some privacy - (no others trying to get to her babies. ) She will show them what they should eat and drink and keep them warm under her feathers. Do you have a rooster or did she run off with a neighbor's roo?

I had the same thing recently. Thought my Dark Cornish hen had died or got taken, she showed up with 10 babies! She's made a nest in the blackberry bushes, bless her heart.

You don't need to do anything, really. Make sure they have water they can reach, and either starter or all-flock is best, not layer feed. You can leave her to free range or confine her and the babies, depending on your predator load and your tolerance for loss. Other than that, momma pretty much knows how to raise them and she'll do a fine job.

Thank you! Since she brought them home, does that mean she will keep them here in the coup? This is such an exciting journey! Our duck, who has been raised with the rooster and 4 hens, flew down to greet the chicks! Snow actually let her almost lift the chicks with her beak, then they all laid down in the sun together! Our rooster Cogburn, is "herding" the chicks, just like he does the girls! I made a fresh bed in the coop for her & the chicks, as well as the small water & food containers i used with the girls when they first got home. If there is anything else i need to do think of, im all ears! Oh, and our rooster is the chickie daddy, so i can hardly wait to see what they look like when they grow up! Thanks again!

How fun!! Congrats :)

Did mama bed down with babies where you wanted them tonight?

You'll have to feed flock starter for a while, but other than that mama should take care of everything.

Back
Top Bottom