Help--Lost my EE 1 hour after bringing her home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gailchickie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Gailchickie

Gailchickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    CRUD!!! I just bought my first chickens (EE and Barred Rock both laying already) and brought them home in a big dog kennel, waiting for my coop (tractor) to come on Weds. I have a fenced in yard. DS let my 10 lb dog out, and EE jumped the fence into the woods (I live on a lake). I've been searching for 1 1/2 hours with no luck.

Is there any chance she'll come back? She had already been pecking away in the yard and eating and drinking for an hour or so. Any suggestions? I'm heartbroken. Meanwhile, I've put a fence up on my back porch so the dogs can't get down. (Too late, I know)...Gail

p.s. I know that chickens like company. Should I quickly try to find another mature hen to be a friend to my other one?

2. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

She may come back to be with the other hen. Just wait it out---you'll probably have to have a net to catch her when she does. Good Luck. Keep us posted. [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Since she doesn't know her home, the odds are not very good that she'll be back. I'm so sorry to hear this happen. It happened to someone who bought araucana from me once as well. They put them in a tall dog kennel not realizing how great they fly. They flew right out and were never found. [​IMG]

4. Gailchickie

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm planning on sitting outside with a book all afternoon with cracked corn and bread...Didn't think of a net!

5. 4thechicks

4thechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Scotland
    so sorry to hear that, hope she turns up.

6. Gailchickie

Apr 22, 2009
    YAY, she actually came home this morning!!! At about 9:15, there she was, making a fuss on my front porch!!! I was able to catch her (and calm my dogs down--that was the harder part). I can't believe she made it through the night!!!--Gail

7. ctychix

ctychix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    San Francisco East Bay
    Your best chance of getting her back would be if she can hear the other hen, she'll come back to be with her. I had a hen fly over the fence once but it returned on it's own to be with her flockmates, hopefully you'll be just as lucky.

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 4thechicks

4thechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Scotland
    glad to hear she turned up.

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps