Help-lost neck feathers

beachchickie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Alabama
THis sounds silly but my EE has been losing neck feathers for about 3 wks. Very slowly. She seems fine but I thought if she were moulting I would see more loss of feathers by now. I looked at the MS state website and it is not that much help. What would mites look like? Do mites mostly start around the vent area?

Does she have a rooster in there? He may be trying to breed her and they can lose feathers like that. Hope she heals.
wink.png

The same thing has happened to my EE, Susie. It's been happening to her for about a month. I've lost count how many times I've inspected her for lice/mites with a magnifying glass and seen nothing. I've dusted all my chickens twice within the time requirements as well as finishing a worming cycle. The feathers are broke in half and there isnt a rooster involved. I'm certain it's due to Susie being rather low on the pecking order and gets pecked on quite abit when I give them table scraps. I think it also happens when they go to roost at night, positioning themselves for the best roost, I hear squawking and picking going on in their house. There's plenty of room too. The heat has been unbearable this summer and that could be stressing her as well. I think Susie is starting to moult also, she's 1.5 years old, I've observed her losing a few feathers from her underside. As a matter of fact, currently half my hens are in moult. beachchickie, I hope this helps some, just some reasons and no solutions...I think it's just going to be a wait and see kinda deal unless someone else comes up with something.

Well I guess your right about the wait and see. Cocoa is at the top of the pecking order and she as far as I can tell does not have mites and there is no rooster except me.HA They only bow for me.

Back
Top Bottom