Help!...Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BickeringToast, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BickeringToast

BickeringToast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey, GA
    Sorry about the old pic-I have none of the new pics loaded

[​IMG]

I brought these 4 home on March 1st and can only guess they were about 3 or 4 days old since ducklings/chicks are bought out within days at our TSC. That would make them 3 weeks old yesterday. All 4 have a lot of their feathers in, they started getting them just over a week ago. I read that they may be feathering a little early since they have been swimming everyday since I brought them home (always supervised, dried, and kept warm). The 4 are mostly alike in size, but I would have to say Mose & Doc are slightly smaller. Questions:
    1. Daphne (yellow turning black) seems to sit a LOT. She eats, drinks, walks and swims normally, but is often sitting. They eat chick starter and I add the 100mg regular Niacin to the water. She is also the friendliest of the 4 and the loudest! Should I be concerned about all her sitting?
    2. When can they live outside? I am in NO rush to get them out and their outdoor home will not even be ready for at least another week. They will have a run safe from predators and within it a protected 'house. Right now our temps here are mid-high 60's during the day and evenings in the 50's. Like I said, all 4 are pretty feathered already.
    3. While I THINK Daphne is a female (simply because of the mind-boggling volume of her peeps), I have no idea with the other 3. I know their Quacks won't start for a few weeks (Niles is trying to quack and it is adorable!). If it turns out I have 2 or 3 drakes, how long do I have before this becomes a problem for the female(s)? We will be ordering 4-8 females from Metzers but that means new ducklings being raised and then integrated in with the current peeps.

Thanks for any help!!!

2. BickeringToast

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey, GA
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Some of my ducks sat quite often. I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this age.

2. Most of my ducklings are outside by 4 weeks but I usually have heat on them if the night temps are cool. However I'm in Texas so it's almost always pretty warm here.

3. By 5 months most of my ducks are readily breeding. Some have started breeding as early as 4 months. If you have excessive males and you start seeing any breeding I would separate them until you add in more females.

4. RileyB

RileyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    NH
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I can tell you what I've experienced (I currently have two full grown ducks, two ducklings, and 6 chickens).

1) I can't say for sure, but as long as she is eating, drinking, and acting normal I don't know that there's an issue. One of the ducklings I have right now is very lazy and constantly laying down or sitting. Although as I said, I'm not an expert, so it might indicate something else.

2) It depends how cold it is. My older ducklings were living outside full time at 4 weeks old. However, where I bought them from there were one and two week old ducks living outside (it was summer).

3) Usually at around 4 weeks old you can begin to hear the difference between the male and female quacking.
    Too many males would become a problem at around the time the birds sexually mature. For mine older two this was around 5 months of age. Ever since then my male rouen has mated with any duck or chicken he can find.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so darn cute!

1. ducklings can be a bit bursts of energy, if it's acting/growing normal otherwise your probably fine. I feed flock raiser here, so i have never need to add a thing.

2. Your temps sound dreamy lol We were -14C this morning, i have 4 couple day old ducklings out in a mini barn with their mama and a heat lamp, so i would definitely say if you have your housing set to go, they can go in there home. Get a thermometer out in it so you know where you stand.

3. It's said 2-3 ducks per drake. My drake babies last year started getting pesty at about 2.5-3mths old... not full on but shall we just say it was obvious they were boys. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. BickeringToast

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey, GA
    Thanks!

We're in Georgia so very warm nights are not too far off. My 4-pack will probably be 5+ weeks old by the time their house/pen is ready for move-in, and day & night temps should be pretty good by then.

The hatch date for the new group of females will be April 1st. That will make them only about a month younger than our current ducklings which I hope will be a positive when we start integrating them.

Thanks again for the info!

7. BickeringToast

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey, GA
    Thanks Everyone! I have developed a duck-addiction and BYC is definitely my enabler!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by