Help...Lt. Sussex crosses and what to expect???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrshollywood, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mrshollywood

Mrshollywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Hi,
    I have a huge Light Sussex rooster (Greenfire farms breeding) and didn't plan on having mixed babies....

Well... my OEGB went broody and with the holiday's etc.. I just let her keep the eggs from the ladies in the barnyard figuring she wouldn't stick to it... but she has and they are due January 19th.

So my question is what am I going to expect to get from these crosses.

Lt. Sussex x Barnevelder
    Lt. Sussex x Buff Orpington
    Lt. Sussex x Buff Brahma banty

How big are they going to be?
    If you have pictures of examples that would even be better.

Thank you in advance!
    ~Holly

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No idea on the Barnevelder. With the buffs, I suspect the pullets will look a lot like the Light Sussex, white with black Columbian pattern. The roosters should look like a red sex link rooster, again a black columbian pattern but mostly white body and that yellow-gold on the saddle and hackles.

If it was a Buff rooster with a Light Sussex hen they would be sex links, but what you have are not going to produce sex links.

I don't have bantams so I cannot help you on expected size from them. I'd expect the size to vary by the individual, but that is just a guess. Some small, some large, most somewhere in between.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I know that the Light Sussex color is very dominant, and I would guess that all the chicks will be colored similarly to a Light Sussex but with red or buff leakage. You could pm RAREROO, he could probably describe them down to the last feather, LOL. [​IMG]

4. Mrshollywood

Mrshollywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Here is what the lt. Sussex over a bandy brahma cross hen....
    [​IMG]

You were right all the babies were colored just like the roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by