HELP! Lump near eye, puss in nostril, foul smell

I'm caring for some chooks while the owner/farmer is away. He's leaving all treatment up to me as he knows less about chickens than i do!!
We did notice the swelling just before he went. He left some powered antibiotics out for me, that the vet gave him when another bird had badly injured wing but we funny know if it's the right meds... its a sulpa type.. Im supposed to mix 1/3 teaspoon with tuna, boiled egg etc. So we doing that plus sprayed eye with eye antibiotics.
Symptoms are the swollen bit near eye, slight
20220813_152316.jpg
nostril discharge near same eye and the chicken has a bad smell. Other eye is normal. No cough, sneezing or weird breathing.
She is happy, eating and drinking all fine.
It's in its own cage.
From Mr Google I'm wondering if respiratory? Coryza?
Anything else I could/should do? Thoughts on illness?
I tried to squeeze lump to see if puss would move but to no avail. Please and thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm caring for some chooks while the owner/farmer is away.

If the farmer/owner left instructions how to care for them, then perhaps it's best to speak with them about further treatment/care.

Are there any lesions or mucous inside the beak?
Pus around the eye needs to be pressed out, but since these are not your chickens, then consulting a vet would be best.

If the farmer/owner left instructions how to care for them, then perhaps it's best to speak with them about further treatment/care.

Are there any lesions or mucous inside the beak?
Pus around the eye needs to be pressed out, but since these are not your chickens, then consulting a vet would be best.
I've contacted him and he's leaving it to me but preference is not the vet for 1 chicken. I'm concerned if respiratory it's spread.
No mucus, puss or lesions in the mouth. It looks normal.
Do I press the puss towards the eye or out the nostril as I can't seem to find an answer on that? Thank you

I've contacted him and he's leaving it to me but preference is not the vet for 1 chicken. I'm concerned if respiratory it's spread.
No mucus, puss or lesions in the mouth. It looks normal.
Do I press the puss towards the eye or out the nostril as I can't seem to find an answer on that? Thank you
What antibiotic did he leave for you to give?

A bad odor might indicate Infectious Coryza.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube and 1000s of threads on this site addressing pressing pus from a chicken's eye. You would press out of the eye.

Where are you located in the world?

What antibiotic did he leave for you to give?

A bad odor might indicate Infectious Coryza.

There's plenty of videos on YouTube and 1000s of threads on this site addressing pressing pus from a chicken's eye. You would press out of the eye.

Where are you located in the world?

Powered sulpha type antibiotic. I'm in Australia and should have said he's a weekend farmer. I know more about chickens than him..LOL... and I've searched YouTube for videos before I posted here.. but thanks

Have you seen any coughing or sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage? If it is a respiratory disease, coryza has a bad odor, and is treated with sulfa antibiotics. Sometimes they can get something (a seed or other material) stuck in the eye, or have a peck that becomes abscessed. pus needs to be removed or squeezed out for antibiotics to be effective. You can flush the eye with saline or eye wash, and an antibiotic ointment or drop would be helpful as well. Here are some videos to help, but I would clear it with the owner or wait until they return:

The owner is leaving it up to me as I know more about chickens than he does.. ha ha! Yes the post mentions the foul odor. The lump is not like the one in the video so this is why I wasn't sure about doing that.... he's away for a month
As I mentioned in the post no coughing, sneezing... no mucous in the mouth

Powered sulpha type antibiotic. I'm in Australia and should have said he's a weekend farmer. I know more about chickens than him..LOL... and I've searched YouTube for videos before I posted here.. but thanks
If he gave you a Sulfa antibiotic, then he likely suspects infectious Coryza.
The pus in the eye will need to come out in order for it to heal.

If he gave you a Sulfa antibiotic, then he likely suspects infectious Coryza.
The pus in the eye will need to come out in order for it to heal.
He has no idea... he's a weekend farmer and in my post you'll see it was left over antibiotics from a chicken with an injured wing. I've tried to get pus out but can't

Back
Top Bottom