Help...Lump on duckling!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    This bump/mass just appeared on my duckling...I didn't see it yesterday while I fed them and checked on them...is it an abscess? tumor? what the heck do I do for it???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So thinking it had to be an abscess to appear that quickly, I poked it with a needle/syringe and tried to suck off it's contents...
    What came out is what's confusing me...a crystal clear, thick, sticky fluid...I sucked out some, then squeezed out some more...he's still doing fine...I put neosporin on it and put him back with his buddies to rest. ??????????? what the heck is this?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like his crop... he's been drinking too much..

3. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    it's up really high...

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Is it possible that the duckling is eating the shavings? Every time I have had mine on shavings they eat it. I would try taking the shavings away and using pellets or puppy pads. I would think it was the crop as well.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Well it is up really high on the neck plus the ducklings were on newspaper not shavings until today when we noticed the lump. Also if it was the crop wouldn't you expect the liquid to be something other than crystal clear?

The duckling has been eating fine which would mean there should be food in the crop as well as liquid even if it was drinking too much? Once we drained it the duckling has been eating and drinking again however the bulge is still deflated.

He seems to be behaving normally though running around with the other two eating and drinking.

Thanks for the replies.

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's possibly a swollen lymph node... though I've never heard of that happening in poultry. Lymph nodes swell in response to a virus. Lymph fluid is clear and sticky, like you described. That's definitely not his crop though, that's clearly on his neck. I wouldn't poke it anymore, especially if it's a lymph node. If it grows bigger, take him to a vet. It might be some sort of injury, in which case give him a 1/4 tablet of 200mg Motrin to reduce the swelling. If that doesn't do anything, than you know it's not an injury. Whatever it is, he may have it permanently.

7. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    Once I had a chick that got a bump like that. I got some syringes and pulled clear, sticky fluid out of it. I would let him go for a few days until it got really swollen again and it looked like it wasn't very comfortable (He kinda twisted his neck around funny when he was trying to swallow. It didn't look very comfortable at all). Then I would drain it some again. He was growing slower and wasn't doing so well. Then one day he laid down and won't get back up. Me and my mom wrapped him up like a baby in a towel because he was cold and held him until he died. I don't know if that is what is wrong with yours but that is what happened to mine. I know it doesn't help with anything, but I wanted to share that with you...Sorry, I hope yours gets better!

8. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    darn it...i hope he doesn't die...he looks so good otherwise...i'm sorry yours died [​IMG]

9. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    I really hope yours doesn't die too. He looks like he is doing well in the pics so I don't know. It might be something different that is going on...I would say just watch it and see what happens! Maybe everything will work out in his favor!

Wish your little duckie luck!!!

10. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Ok so I'm back again...
    He's still doing fine, except for his lump...I keep draining it every other day or so when it bulges...same clear stuff each time.

I need to figure out a solution though, because I can't poke him every other day for his whole life! Please help me figure out how to get rid of this!

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by