Help! major mite/lice infestation in coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vtchickenlvr, May 1, 2011.

1. vtchickenlvr

vtchickenlvr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    It seems very early in the year to be seeing this- we were down below freezing again last night- but, today when I collected the eggs they were covered w/ mites! Swarming with them. This has never happened to us before. So, I am wondering about treatment. We are going to do our spring emptying out of the floor shavings and sweeping and scraping of the perches tomorrow. Will that take care of most of the problem? My birds are all freerangers and dust bath frequently . They are not wanting to go in the coop tonight and I can't blame them! Would appreciate any knowledge on the subject, thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you use sevin dust to treat the infestation, dust everything including your chickens. Redust everything 10 days later. Here's a link for you to read and it should help you out.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    I recommend you use sevin dust to treat the infestation, dust everything including your chickens. Redust everything 10 days later. Here's a link for you to read and it should help you out.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

I went to the Ohio state site and would like to do this with ours but I was wondering about less than a week old chicks? or using diatomaceous earth?

They are separate from the big coop, should we treat it too?

Thank you for the info.

4. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't think DE will help when there is already an infestion, it will help prevent one next time though after you wipe those suckers out with sevin. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can use sevin dust on chicks. Just put a little on your fingers and gently rub it in, not getting any in their eyes, nostrils and mouth.

6. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you all for your help. I ve got my work cut out for me today!!
    You all have a great day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by