1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help make me feel better...... temp spike.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skylarms, Feb 23, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Due to loosing sleep over minor temp fluctuations, I bought a new nice incubator to replace my older model. I have been running the new one for a few days to get everything ready. In the mean time, temps were holding steady in the old incubator so I left the eggs in there. Everything was okay.....until last night... I went to bed around 11 and temp was fine. I woke up a few hours later, and it spiked to 108!!! I have eggs ranging from 4 days to 13 days in there. The older eggs are marans and ameraucanas so its hard to see in there anyhow. I will leave them alone for a few days, but my question is how can I tell if they are alive and viable? It's so dark in there anyhow. Will a blood ring for at 13+ days? How much movement should you see? All older eggs were definitely fertile as they were candled already. The New sets are just a barnyard mix a friend and I are testing, but the others are nice chicks! with these dark eggs its hard to tell anything, but the airsacs have been developing nicely and the black blob inside growing...... Help talk me through this !

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Don't panic! Do you know for sure that your thermometer is accurate? I calebrate thermometers and hygrometers before each batch. I use 2 or 3 in my incubators. The internal temp of the eggs may have still remained in a safe range so, don't panic just, candle them in a few days and see if, the airsack is grown. You don't want to do a float test on the eggs as if, they are OK it would be bad for them. A really bright LED pen light may see through the dark eggs for you. I just ordered a Ova View and hope it gets here soon before, I need to candle the blue eggs I have going. Good Luck.

3. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I have two thermometers in there. Honestly, I freaked out so bad when I read the digital, I went into survival mode. They are now in the Lyon rx..... Temps are holding great. I wish I could find a bad egg guide.....

4. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    My temps spiked to 108 the first night they were in the incubator. I knew they were ruined. Yesterday, my 9th egg out of 11 hatched. Please don't give up hope. There's a good chance they'll be okay. Maybe they'll just start hatching a little early like mine did. (4 hatched on day 19.) Think positive. Please.

5. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
  6. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Thanks! Darn things are resilient! I couldn't fight the urge and candled a few tonight. I saw movement! Woohoo! I only checked four out if around 20 older ones. I'll do the others in at seven days. Two of the ones I saw movement in are fighters! My best friends broody hen was killed by an opossum around a week ago. When she found her, the eggs were stone cold. I had her bring them over so who knows how long they had been left out. Well a few days later they showed life and still do! So attacked by a possum, left cold, transported across town, the temp spiked to 108.......! Unfortunately ones airsac is malpositioned, but that baby is a fighter. Two more days and those two go to lockdown! Fingers crossed!

7. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    How Cool! Hope you have a great hatch!

8. Cinnylove

Cinnylove Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    Reading, Pa
    i am also a beginner and my husband cant believe how someone can get so excited over an unhatched chicken egg!!! :)
    I left for church with an ok temp and came home with it at 107!! i freaked!! couldn't even eat dinner i was so worked up BUT
    thanks to y'all i'm gonna keep chugging along! THANKS! this afternoon i added a lamp dimmer switch into my dry
    homemade inc and its holding steady now!!! YAY :) good luck!!!

9. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop

10. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by