1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help--making a bigger horizontal hatcher and need input for heat/fan/placement

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cheekyhen, Feb 18, 2017.

1. cheekyhen

cheekyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    I had made a hatcher --small cabinent style. The heat source is a 125w rod and fan behind a false wall which blew down over the heat across the water pans and back up the front etc.It worked well, but I want to make a larger horizontal version, with a single larger divided tray, but need some help figuring out where to position the fans--I have 2...one sm and 1 larger and heat rod. I am thinking aprox 4L x 3ow x30H. I hatch mainly Turkeys so I need to crank the humidity to about 80% and have the temp at 98 F.

My original thought was to place them in a box on the short side, with a partial wall--similar to a false wall, or open so it would blow across the heat and then the water , circulate back etc. I am thinking if I put the sm fan on the opposite top side to help push the air back to the heat it may work?

I've been reading through the threads but they all deal with a vertical type cabinent. I would really appreciate any input--everyone seems to have solved many dilemmas! Thanks!

2. cheekyhen

Mar 7, 2010
    I really do need help figuring the placement of the fans and heat source for optimal air flow, and humidity. Another thought is to make it like a giant Hova bator with the fans etc in a raised lid. I have searched the web and all I can find are very small DIY made w/ bulbs.

Another question is what would be the best adhesive to glue the foam board together, After reading another post should I even consider silicone inside on the seams?

I will attempt to get a diagram on here.....it may be easier to understand what I am thinking of.

3. cheekyhen

Mar 7, 2010
    No thoughts?... Well, l spent hours on this site, [​IMG] following links etc, and I think I came up with a workable idea and got many tips on lots of small concerns. Finally....[​IMG] found the thread with tons of DIY bator/hatchers and gleaned a bunch from everyone's trial and errors.... [​IMG]...so when I get working on it I'll have pics. Thanks [​IMG]

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Be sure to post pics i'd love to see what you come up with. I'm using a very old homemade incubator.

5. cheekyhen

Mar 7, 2010
    I have a Brinsea cabinet bator,. but I do a continuous hatch and my DIY hatcher just wasn't big enough to separate the breeds Last yr I lost the fan at the end of hatch season-- it was 5 yrs old, and I had to really scramble--borrowed a few Hovabators to use as hatchers, So it is time to upgrade![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by