1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help making Hypoallergenic Shampoo for dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hope0491, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    OK! I'm going away.. tomorrow at 3am to Florida- my dog has had allergies before.. and we are out of the medicine, our Vet is closed today and I don't know what to do! He is itching like crazy!! He doesn't have fleas.. he just has really bad allergies. Do ANYONE know how to make some herbal shampoo that will sooth his skin kind of like a hypoallergenic shampoo would? I don't have any.. so, I need ideas! lol..

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!
    ~Lacey

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    If you must bathe try a bar of oatmeal soap instead of shampoos. It is soothing with out the harsh ingredients that strip the skin.

3. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    You could give it benedryl for the itching. You can get it just about anywhere. I have used it for my dog's allergies for years after my vet mentioned it to me.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Would baby shampoo work?

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:How much Benedryl would you give a 10 lb. pom?

6. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    1/2-2 mg per pound every 8 hours. You probably have to go with liquid. If your dog has allergies more then just mildly, it may only help a little to take the edge off. Have you tried a hypoallergenic diet yet? My dog is allergic to dust mites. After trying prednisone, hypoallergenic food at $30 a 18 pound sack, and a $300 heska allergy blood test later found it was something we couldnt do much about.

7. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    The smallest dog I've ever given benedryl to was 50 lbs. I routinely have given (for insect stings, hives, itching for any reason other than fleas) 2 tablets, I believe they are 25 mg each for a 50 lb dog. These are the pink, scored in the middle oblong tablets. I do know that benedryl has a wide safety margin. Its an antihistamine. I guess if it were my little dog I'd try a QUARTER or HALF of a tablet. Will probably make it sleepy like antihistamines do to us.

I'm not a vet, just have used it a lot. If it worries you wait til tomorrow and call and ask your vet. Better yet, whenever you do see your vet next, ask him/her about a correct dosage for your dog, in case you ever need to use it in the future.

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    laser is dead on with the benedryl. usually we use about 1mg/lb, but can use up to twice that. So for a 10lb dog, 10mg... which means you will need to use the children's liquid benedryl (adult benedryl is 25mg). If it's real bad, you can try 1/2 an adult benedryl tablet. Also, antihistamines will help with atopy/environmental allergies, but won't do a thing for food allergies. If this has been going on a while, you might talk to your vet about food allergies.

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Hope, having dealt w/Scotties w/horrible allergies all my life my best suggestion to you is to bathe him/her with Dawn or Palmolive (whatever you wash your dishes with) and accompany it with the Benadryl as everyone else has suggested. 1-2mg is ideal. The 2 mg is really for severe cases such as a snake bite/insect sting, but it won't HURT your dog. So if you have a 25 lb dog, give it one normal benadryl.
    Thing w/the liquid is it is SO thinned out, it would take a whole bottle or more just to dose a great dane one time, if that makes much sense.
    HTH,
    Kristi

10. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    I can't thank everyone enough for all the wonderful suggestions!!

I am going to follow everyones wisdom here and put him on Benadryl.. He's a 100 pound golden retriever though.. he's a REALLY big boy.. but not fat at ALL.. he's the size of our female newfoundland!! haha.. any guesses? I gave him a really good bath though!!

I'll get on to look at the forum.. but won't have time to reply.

Thanks so much again everyone!!!
    ~Lacey

OH! here's a pic of him... =]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by