Help making more EE's that look like this:

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoosterRiot, Sep 14, 2016.

1. RoosterRiot

RoosterRiot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    Hedwig here hatched out of an EE egg and is not quite laying on her own yet. Her feather pattern is completely different than any other bird I have (out of about 60) and I would like to hatch more that look like her. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem is I don't know who her parent are. I have a variety of EE colors but the only one that has no brown is Pepper:[​IMG]
    Could the mother be one of the brown hens or would it have to be a black and white hen like Pepper?

As far as the father goes I suspect it is probably my only EE rooster but he also has some red/brown in him:
    [​IMG]
    But I also have a white leghorn but Hedwig seems to be too thick bodied to be related to him.

The last part that is confusing me is her comb. She almost seems to have a rose comb (or maybe just a really under developed pea comb). I do have a BLRW and a GLE roo that might be the dad but I don't see any other indications of them being involved.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

I don't have any insight other then saying split up you mating birds so you know who is breeding who. And hatch some out. In other words, put you suspects into a pen and see what the offspring come out like.

But what I was really going to say is.... she is a cute girl. And I like being able to tell my birds apart, so that's nice as well.

Good luck with your adventures!

3. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    Thanks EggSighted. I've been pretty hands off with breeder pairing. I have some areas where I can isolate the suspected parents and see what we get.

I've tried to use a chicken gene calculator for this but EEs are such a mix already it's really hard to set it up right.

She is good looking isn't she?

4. Aris

Aris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Greece ,Chania
    Her comb looks like cross of pea and rose comb , also she seems to have some lacing at the chest ?
    So my best guess is ee x wyandotte
    Pretty girl you've got there

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think she has a Wyandotte parent. The rose comb and partial lacing point to that.

I got a kinda-similar color with a black sex link rooster over a slw hen...

[​IMG]

As far as your hen, I'm not sure which one. I'd think Pepper is a good start, unless you have any other silver hens.

6. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    Is that what incomplete lacing looks like? If would have thought the red/brown from the Wyandotte would have expressed more as well but maybe that white came through as dominant.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I also actually was suspecting possible Wyandotte.

8. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    Pepper is the only silver EE I have. All the others are black/brown or wheaten.

The thicker body type does look more like a Wyandotte. Do you think the BLRW or GLW roo would be the more likely father? Does the silver express over the red/brown?

Someone in that pen (full of pullets) just laid a dark olive egg. I thought it was the BCM/EE but maybe it was Hedwig. If it's her the Wyandotte father makes sense.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The silver base color of the rooster is dominant over red/gold base colors.

10. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    Do are, your hen looks like she has the exact same pattern. I hadn't seen incomplete lacing on a silver bird. I do have a brown hen with it though and now that you point it out the pattern looks the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by