Help! Male or Female? Ameraucana and Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Demi00, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Demi00

Demi00 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Pinckney, Michigan
    Hello! I am brand new to the Backyard Chicken community and am a first time chicken mom! [​IMG] I purchased 6 chicks from a local feed and seed shop in town and was told that they were all females; however, my uncle believes 2 of them are males. Based on the photos that I am attaching, can you chicken experts give me your opinion? Are they male or female?

Also, if these babies are in fact males, what should I do? Haha! That is a very broad question, but I am concerned about a number of things (this is mostly due to the fact that I am still learning how to raise chickens). I wasn't planning on having a rooster and was only interested in raising hens for the eggs (and bc they are loveable little creatures!)

If I in fact have 2 males, how do I determine whether or not to keep them? I am not opposed to having a rooster, I just need some advice and suggestions.

How do I go about find them new homes if that is what I need to do?

If I keep a rooster, how does this impact my eggs? Can I still eat them regularly if they get fertilized?

*Chick #1 (Matilda)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Chick #2 (Margaret)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and this one just bc they are so dang cute!
    [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

It's easiest to tell at 8-12 weeks old, so I'm not really sure wether they're Roos or not. I can answer some of your questions though. 2 Roos need a certain number of hens to make sure they don't fight, and that the hens aren't over mated. I think that number is around 15. You can eat fertilized eggs, there's nothing wrong with that.

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both the Easter Egger and the Barred Rock look like pullets for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by