Help! Male or Female chicks? Ameraucana and Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Demi00, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Demi00

Demi00 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Pinckney, Michigan
    Hello! I am brand new to the Backyard Chicken community and am a first time chicken mom! [​IMG] I purchased 6 chicks from a local feed and seed shop in town and was told that they were all females; however, my uncle believes 2 of them are males. Based on the photos that I am attaching, can you chicken experts give me your opinion? Are they male or female?

Also, if these babies are in fact males, what should I do? Haha! That is a very broad question, but I am concerned about a number of things (this is mostly due to the fact that I am still learning how to raise chickens). I wasn't planning on having a rooster and was only interested in raising hens for the eggs (and bc they are loveable little creatures!)

If I in fact have 2 males, how do I determine whether or not to keep them? I am not opposed to having a rooster, I just need some advice and suggestions.

How do I go about find them new homes if that is what I need to do?

If I keep a rooster, how does this impact my eggs? Can I still eat them regularly if they get fertilized?

*Chick #1 (Matilda)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Chick #2 (Margaret)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and this one just bc they are so dang cute!
    [​IMG]

~4 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    How old are these guys? only a couple weeks? Its still really early to tell. The second chick Margaret (haha I'm Maggie) has quite the comb compared to all the others. So if it starts turning pink in the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised. If it turns pink she is definitely a Manuel instead of Margaret. Post some more pics in a couple weeks!

3. Demi00

Demi00 New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Pinckney, Michigan

Thanks for your reply, Ogdenfarms! They are about 3.5 weeks in that picture. I will definitely post more this weekend.

4. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017

No problem, I'll be sure to watch for them. I have a batch thats a month old today and I can already tell one is for sure a rooster. I've just noticed the change in the last 2 days or so. It happens overnight it seems. So you should know pretty quick! :)

5. arizonachickens

arizonachickens Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    They look like girls to me :)

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Barred Rock is female by patterning. The males have a much more striped appearance. It has a single comb (as it should) but there's nothing masculine about it.

Your "Ameraucana" is an Easter Egger and not yet showing any male signs. You'll need to wait a couple of weeks, though, to be sure.

7. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

As long as you have a nice rooster, it can be a good experience. I don't keep mean ones. But two roosters with four hens would be too rough on the hens. I don't think you have two roosters. I agree the barred rock looks female. Not sure on the easter egger. You can eat the eggs. Some or all will be fertilized. They don't start developing until a chicken sets on them and starts the incubation process. This can also happen in hot weather. So just remove the eggs every day and they are fine to eat. You won't even be able to tell the difference. As for rehoming, I just post them on craigslist. I very rarely can get a few bucks for a rooster, but mostly I've given them away. Or you can process them if you eat meat and feel up to it.

8. alexa009

alexa009 Overrun With Chickens

The barred rocks are hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by