Help! Mallard duckling w hurt leg

BunnyBoo

Hatching
May 8, 2022
I live on a brook & a 6-7 wk old yellow Mallard baby ( NOT a domestic, all it’s siblings/parents are dark, sometimes mallards have yellow duckling from long ago hybridization). Yesterday morn it was fine, by afternoon it was limping, dragging foot, hopping on 1 foot. It’s foot is curled up but no blood (I’ve not seen under the foot for an injury). Leg doesn’t look deformed. Eating/drinking normal. Keeping up with it’s family in water, harder on land but it’s trying. Wildlife Centers won’t take it b/c it’s a hybrid. Thinking to bring it my vet tomorrow but does anyone know if this is a fixable injury? What is the injury? If this baby can survive? Anything I can do? Worried for this sweetheart. Please help.

I live on a brook & a 6-7 wk old yellow Mallard baby ( NOT a domestic, all it’s siblings/parents are dark, sometimes mallards have yellow duckling from long ago hybridization). Yesterday morn it was fine, by afternoon it was limping, dragging foot, hopping on 1 foot. It’s foot is curled up but no blood (I’ve not seen under the foot for an injury). Leg doesn’t look deformed. Eating/drinking normal. Keeping up with it’s family in water, harder on land but it’s trying. Wildlife Centers won’t take it b/c it’s a hybrid. Thinking to bring it my vet tomorrow but does anyone know if this is a fixable injury? What is the injury? If this baby can survive? Anything I can do? Worried for this sweetheart. Please help.
Welcome to BYC! Can you post a pic of it?

A093ABDE-2038-4964-B183-AD0575866717.jpeg
8A63FB8D-4725-4B48-9EF2-4ADDD9D5E4C6.jpeg

No replies to my 1st ever post 😔, Don’t know why. Maybe this site doesn’t work for everyone. Anyhow I have good news. After 10 days of scooting on its belly & unable to eat much (though I fed everyday), suddenly the curled up shriveled looking leg that just hung there was suddenly unfurled & it began walking with a big limp. After 14 days it’s walking, 100% fine. What a warrior! The family’s heroic. They never abandoned it. They changed routes/sleep areas/walking pace to accommodate the disabled one. The mother was super protective of him/her. Now the family is back to its old ways. A blessing!!!

Wonderful news! To be honest, I didn't reply because you mentioned the option of taking it to a vet. Plus I wouldn't have guessed this incredible outcome anyway. Such amazing news. I love wild waterfowl families ❤️ All of the Mallard ducklings are gone from here but I have 15 Canada Goose goslings (between 4 pairs of parents) that come looking for food every day and they warm my heart on a daily basis. I can relate 💕

BonnyBoo.
I have a same situation here. Baby duckling with broken foot. I'm so hopeless, I can't catch it!!!! He is with his family behind my fence. I tried to feed him duckling food, but his siblings won't let him eat it. He moves on his stomach with the help of his other foot. I'm so lost. What do I do?

Wonderful news! To be honest, I didn't reply because you mentioned the option of taking it to a vet. Plus I wouldn't have guessed this incredible outcome anyway. Such amazing news. I love wild waterfowl families ❤️ All of the Mallard ducklings are gone from here but I have 15 Canada Goose goslings (between 4 pairs of parents) that come looking for food every day and they warm my heart on a daily basis. I can relate 💕

What a lovely respond from Heather.
I wish for some kind of result on my duckling situation. I'm so hopeless, watching my 40 day old, wild Mallard duckling, sliding on his stomach and one leg, which is broken. I can't catch him, fear for the worse. Thank you for understandings.
My family and some friends think that I'm old, crazy lady ,trying to help a wild duckling.

Back
Top Bottom