HELP MAMA HENS ARE SOUNDING WHEEZY!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joannlynn82, Apr 11, 2017.

1. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    HELP! So I have some broody hens. 4 of them. Cochins and Polish mix. They are about 2 1/2 years old. Hatchlings from my orbital flock. 2 are doing great they have teamed up as new mommies and have 10 chicks between the 2 of them. These 4 hens are staying in the coop with fresh food and water daily. One of them has 3 chicks and the other one has 9 fertilized eggs and hasn't hatched one yet. Well these 2 hens have started wheezing bad!! It's scaring me to death! They weren't doing it this morning. No new chickens have been introduced. They haven't been out of the coop in almost 2 weeks. Fresh shavings, I clean up the large piles of poo. I gave them some bread with olive oil about an hour ago still wheezing. Although one of them too a massive poop! Help!!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Air flow and stop feeding bread...Bread can kill hens and chicks....Impacted crops... Get the air circulating...They are too warm....:(

Cheers!

3. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I have 6 really large windows in the coop. Plenty of air. I've fed chickens bread for 10 years. Didn't know anything about that. Their crops are heathly. No runny noses or anything from their beaks. They don't appear over heated, not displaying any panting with their beaks open. I have a thermater in their temp is good.

4. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Are you using different shavings?

5. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    No same kind. And now my whole flock is sounding like this! Giving all of them Tylan 50 right now. It's gone from 2 hens to 15 hens in a day! We gave the first treatment of Tylan 50 to 4 that seemed to hsvrvit this am. And we kept them separated too! I have 13 biddies separated them from their mamas. Put them in my other coop with all the appropriate essentials. All of my hens are at least a year and half up to 5 years of age.

6. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017

They are free range also.

7. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Do you have a vet you can consult?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by