HELP MAMA HENS WHEEZING

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joannlynn82, Apr 11, 2017.

1. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    HELP! So I have some broody hens. 4 of them. Cochins and Polish mix. They are about 2 1/2 years old. Hatchlings from my orbital flock. 2 are doing great they have teamed up as new mommies and have 10 chicks between the 2 of them. These 4 hens are staying in the coop with fresh food and water daily. One of them has 3 chicks and the other one has 9 fertilized eggs and hasn't hatched one yet. Well these 2 hens have started wheezing bad!! It's scaring me to death! They weren't doing it this morning. No new chickens have been introduced. They haven't been out of the coop in almost 2 weeks. Fresh shavings, I clean up the large piles of poo. I gave them some bread with olive oil about an hour ago still wheezing. Although one of them too a massive poop! Help!!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Tylan50 twice a day for a few days---oral is fine---1ml each time---hold head back--squeeze med. into back of throat and hold head till it swallows. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    Thank you! Local farm and feed store should have it?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    TSC and most Feed Stores carry it----Get you a few shyringes, and a medium size needle to draw it out the bottle then remove the needle to squeeze it into the back of the throat. Good Luck.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/tylan50

Don't think more is better---if its a average size chicken---1ml. smaller chicken 3/4ml etc.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    Thanks a million!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your hens will recover fast. You mentioned putting new shavings in, is this a different type than you usually use? I know cedar fumes are toxic to chickens

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our flock! Hope your chickens are doing better. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

8. joannlynn82

joannlynn82 Just Hatched

Apr 11, 2017
    I believe they have Coryza. They haven't developed the discharge around the eyes. But they have a rattling sound in their breathing. It went from 2 hens to 15 hens in 24 hours. The got their second dose of Tylan 50 this morning. Also put a vitamin and electrolytes supplement in their water. They don't sound better yet.... any ideas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by