Help - mama turkey died while sitting on eggs

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
We had a wild turkey sitting on eggs in our field. Something got her today. I have a Nuture Right 360 but have never incubated turkey eggs.

Any advice appreciated.

Update: they are protected in Georgia. Husband called our friend who is DNR. They were happy I have an incubator and thanked us for saving them and putting them in. Someone is going to call us tomorrow.

Last edited:
We had a wild turkey sitting on eggs in our field. Something got her today. I have a Nuture Right 360 but have never incubated turkey eggs.

Any advice appreciated.
I have a  feeling that wild turkeys are a protected species. Therefore it might be illegal to keep the eggs, even if the mama sadly died. Have you candled them yet to check for life?
Let me tag someone who might be able to correct me, or confirm this
@casportpony

I have a  feeling that wild turkeys are a protected species. Therefore it might be illegal to keep the eggs, even if the mama sadly died. Have you candled them yet to check for life?
Let me tag someone who might be able to correct me, or confirm this
@casportpony
I don't see how they can be a federally protected species and still be allowed to be hunted, which certainly is allowed - albeit often with restrictions. But, that doesn't mean they can be hatched/raised legally .... I just don't know.

I don't see how they can be a federally protected species and still be allowed to be hunted, which certainly is allowed - albeit often with restrictions. But, that doesn't mean they can be hatched/raised legally .... I just don't know.
I'm not sure, I'm fairly sure I've heard before that they're illegal to raise/keep- but that may just be certain areas.

Back
Top Bottom