Help! mamma hen is pecking her 3week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jenperlynn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Jenperlynn

Jenperlynn New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    Our mamma hen had been a great mommy until today, we heard the babies loudly peeping and when we went to see why, feathers were missing and mom was chasing them around!! We took her away but she looks like she wants to go back in with them, not sure what to do or why she's acting this way today?? :(

2. Jenperlynn

Jenperlynn New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG] one of our babies

3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    no brainer here mom needs to be taken away to protect chicks maybe not let hen have more she maybe a bad mom

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Probably should see her next reaction.They'll need mommy, and truth honest chicks around 3 weeks will swing at their mothers for no reason.Mines beat on theirs 24 7.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Just my humble opinion .... to me it sounds like she has 'cut the cord' a couple of weeks earlier than the average. I have a Silkie who was a wonderful mum but her chicks are now 6 weeks old and you can tell that she has had enough of motherhood and wants to get back to being footloose and fancy free [​IMG] I have another broody who mothered her little one even after said little one started laying eggs of her own.

I agree with giving her another try with the littlies but keeping a very close eye on her; if she is too rough with them and obviously does not want to care for them, probably best to take her away and keep the little ones in a brooder and take over their care.

I also agree that it is probably best not to let her have another hatch; if she is going to cut the cord at such a young age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by