Help managing humidity without a hygrometer - is it possible?

WildWalker

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
As the subject line says, I need help managing the humidity of my still air, three egg 'bator and/or possible solutions to making a homemade one that will either fit in the incubator or be able to read from it.

Direct link to the 'bator

While the instructions for this thing are rough at best, I've been able to put it together and get the dry temp to about 102 F. The instructions merely say to fill one of the hollow legs with water for humidity, which can't store anymore then maybe a tablespoon of water over a 1" square surface - I must admit that I'm skeptical it can retain a 40-60% humidity, let alone an 80-82% come lockdown. Without a hygrometer handy I'm almost certain the eggs will dry out.

One other thing I've noticed is that I had my eggs sitting at a toasty 100 F (just wouldn't budge higher then that) by the time I went to sleep last night, checked them first thing in the morning and it had plummeted to 96 F. Does the increasing humidity decrease the readout of dry bulb thermometers? Or does this mean that I have to insulate the incubator so the temp remains at a better constant? We currently have it in an unused guest room whose ambient temp sits at about 80 degrees during the day - I check the temp at least every two hours or so to make sure it isn't fluctuating too much.

woot.gif

I guess I'm just worrying over nothing then. First time hatching and I feel like I'm playing the part of the worried parent.

go down and get about 2-3 feet of that shrink tubing (small enough to go threw the vent holes in the dome, I'm assuming it has) wash it out good and use it as a syphen hose with a container of water higher than the domenbator. suck it, pinch it, thread it, release it, fill it, pinch it remove it. something like that
smile.png
flexable straw ie

Back
Top Bottom