HELP!!!!!! MASIVE temperature spike on DAY 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmlifedreamin, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm super worried...my temperature has been very stable for 5 days now. I put the eggs in 3 days ago, so today would be day 2 for them. I just came out and checked on the bator and it was at almost 115*!!!! Do you think they are dead? Did I cook them?
    As soon as I saw the temp, I pulled the eggs out and put them in cool water, took them out and let the eggs dry and they put them back in. did this until the eggs felt they were completely cooled off. Omg...I am so sad right now :(

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Mercy----the only way to answer that is We Don't Know-----If the center of the egg got to 105+ they are probably gone, BUT it takes some time for them to reach high enough temp to kill them. Give them a few days and candle---you will be able to tell if they are alive. What caused the spike----did you turn up the thermostat after adding the eggs?

3. I didn't but I'm starting to think that perhaps my 3 year old did. That's the only thing I can think because the temps were stable and I didn't have any problem until now. I checked on them about an hour before this and my temps were still perfect. I came back in the room, peeked in and saw the temp and freaked!
    I'm going to leave them in and candle them in a few days but I was curious to know if anyone had a problem like this before and what the outcome was

4. So, I candled today, just for the heck of it and because I'm overly anxious to know if I killed them. I have dark eggs...brown, blue and green. Its hard to see if theres any type of veining yet, (yes, I know its a little early for that, too lol) but I can see that the yolks are still moving around when I turn them. So...if I cooked them, would the yolks still be able to move?
    Also, I do have 1 of the duck eggs that I am pretty sure is dead. It has a dark spot that looks to be stuck to the shell. I will try to get a picture of it.

5. [​IMG]

the spot does not move around. It looks like it is stuck to the shell

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The picture looks like a quitter. If it was an hour or less there's a chance the internal temps hadn't rose that high, but my concern would be that you pulled them out and put them in cool water. The sudden heat change is more likely to do damage than opening the bator and letting it come back down to temp, I believe. I picture it as laying in the hot summer sun and then jumping into a cold pool. The shock to the system can't bode well. The only way to know is keep them going for a few more days and see if you can see any further development.

1 person likes this.
  7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    We/you do not know how hot they got, but Amy did share some good advise. The eggs could have just been bad---nothing to do with the temp. Yea, give them some more time---a extremely dark room and a bright light with no side light leakage can help you to see in them colored eggs good enough to see life.

8. yeah, perhaps.... The only reason I did the cool water was before I searched it right away and that's what they (the site) said to do. I cant remember what site it was, exactly. I made sure it was cool/luke warm water and did it slowly. I put them in for a few seconds then pulled them out and did it again. I continued that for a few minutes. It was saying that the shells will cool off faster then the inside. IDK... I'm sad

9. I usually do candle in a dark room but I did this one in the livingroom only because you can see that dark spot without having to be in the dark room. I went out and got a brighter LED flashlight today because I was thinking that maybe I couldn't see ANY type of veining because my light wasn't bright enough but today being day 5, I should see some veining and I see NOTHING at all :(
    and the yolks are still moving all around. Pretty sure they are gone

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well, just give them 2 or 3 more days and candle again---if there is no change----trash them and start over. Making sure Nothing can get to the control on the incubator. I set my incubator up with app 100 degree water(I use some when incubating) and let the incubator run for at least 12 hours AFTER the last adjustment to make sure its stable. Then I add the eggs and I go more than a day after adding the eggs before worrying about if I need to slightly tweak----I rarely have to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by