HELP!!!!! Mass on rear end- Possible Prolapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmberman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. kmberman

kmberman New Egg

May 11, 2009
    Hi, I have a 4 month old Vantress X that has a mass coming out of her bottom!!!! It looks like she may be trying to lay an egg, not sure. I am new to this & she was going to be dinner, but my son fell in love with her.

She is just standing aground & trying to poop, her beak is a little white & she is just puffed up feather wise. I put on some gloves to help her, if it is an egg, & her back side has dark blood, white membrane, and her hole is pushed to the side & swollen.... I have her away from all the others in the garage & she does have food & water, but she is not touching it.
    I am trying to get pics on, but having a hard time uploading..

Thank You
    Kim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    bump

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Sounds like a prolapse from what I've read on other threads here. I've never dealt with one so am certainly not expert. I'd suggest changing your thread title to possible prolapse and hopefully that will get the attention of those that have successfully dealt with one. Good luck!

4. farmerjill

farmerjill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    If it's a prolapse (google pictures to see if that's what you've got), you need to act quickly. 1. Gently remove any membrane or egg shell or egg parts that are stuck in her vent. You may have to insert your moist, clean finger in her vent to ease this out. 2. Clean debris off of the prolapsed vent; you can just use a damp rag and water and 3. apply honey to the prolapse. This will help reduce the swelling and acts as an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial agent. 4. use your finger, coated with k-y jelly or I just use a clean, wet finger, and gently push the prolapse back in. I once felt a distinct "pop" when it was back in. You may or may not feel this...

Thereafter, check her to make sure that she doesn't push it out again. If she does, repeat all four steps. AND know that prolapsed vents are usually caused by hens straining to expell soft-shelled eggs, so you may need to give her more free-choice calcium to prevent it from happening again.

Anyone else?

5. kmberman

kmberman New Egg

May 11, 2009
    thank you so...much. i have no clue what i am doing. i was reading to use peperation h also. Is my hen ready for an egg at 4 months?

6. farmerjill

Mar 18, 2009
    There's some discussion that Preparation H is bad for chickens (they absorb it through their skin, and the chemicals are potentially harmful b/c hens are such little critters). Yoney is harmless, and worked well for me, so if you've got it, that's what I'd use.

Some hens lay at four months. That's not terribly unusual. Depends on the breed, of course.

7. farmerjill

Mar 18, 2009
    Honey, not Yoney. [​IMG]

8. kmberman

kmberman New Egg

May 11, 2009
    To everyone that tried to help, Thank You so... much.
    Big Phatty died at 5:53 p.m. I guess I did not catch it on time & was unable to help her. Now my next question is kinda a sick guestion, but can we still process her & eat her???

Thank You
    Kim

9. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
  10. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    We must have been posting at the same time. I am so sorry I did not see this sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by