Help!! massively swollen crop??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovingmyhens, Nov 23, 2013.

1. lovingmyhens

lovingmyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    [​IMG]
    What could be wrong and what do I do??? When I got up this morning she was at the bottom of the ramp that takes her to the upper level of the coop, laying on her side. She could not stand at all. I noticed yesterday after work that this area was swollen and she was not walking correctly, often stumbling and just squatting. But at 5:30 like clockwork the two chickens made their way to the coop and I closed them up for the night. Then I found her this morning and I thought she was dead. I brought her inside and forced water with ACV in her and she took a little. I gave her some pureed veggies warmed and she ate that from a syringe and then seemed to want more so I put it in a little lid and she tried to stand and eat. I put some masked bananas with it and she went to town. Now she is able to hold her weight and stand but the extended whatever it is is making me nervous. She is in this tub which is sitting on a heating pad. She lays her head to the side as the crop or stomach or whatever is so swollen she can't rest normally. Oh and her coop does not sit on the ground, and we are in Houston so the low was only 47 last night. ONLY ugh. I only have 2 chickens and no predators (yet) so this is not the issue. They free range all day and put themselves in their coop around 5:30. They get crumbles with oyster shell that is out all the time.
    Please anyone tell me what to do for her!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Keep her warm and see if she improves, but it doesn't sound good. Put on a glove, KY jelly and check the inside of her vent for an egg, fluid, masses, bumps, etc.

3. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    She's just the same. I've not investigated her insides yet.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did your hen have a Mareks vaccine? When you first saw her this morning, was the crop still large? Was it squishy? If she has a sour or impacted crop, she doesn't need anymore to eat. For sour crop just feed her water, probiotics, and maybe a little applesauce. Massage her crop several times a day in a downward motion. Impacted crop is different. Always check the crop first thing in morning--it should be empty and flat. Here is some info on crop issues to know what you are dealing with: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

5. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    Yes she's been vaccinated!

6. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    Thanks! I'm reading now but not being a chicken person this is all new

7. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Okay, I just saw your photo. I don't want to sound like a smart-***** but are you SURE you are not feeling her neck? In the photo she looks cold and she is all "compact" with her head pulled in close to her body. A chicken has a very long neck but your photo shows her with her neck pulled into her body. That hump in the front of her breast looks like normal hunkered-down chicken to me. Do you have another photo with her neck stretched? This of course does not explain her leg problem, but maybe it's one less problem....

The other problem that comes to mind is wry neck. It can look startling and I could feel her neck was in a sideways "S" shape. Here is one of my young hens from a few years ago that had wry neck...she recovered.:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  8. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    I had to cull her...a friend who does chickens said he thought it was a tumor or something as her chest was so extended by this evening. He said it wasn't her crop and he took her with him. I'm left with one so sat I will go get some more to keep her company. Thanks for all the advice-

9. lovingmyhens

Oct 20, 2013
    Katy, tx
    Sadly I had to cull my Ethel. A friend said it looked like a tumor. So I let him take her and do what he had to do.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by