Help!! Matting, nasty looking around a pale comb and waddle!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Niki Chickens, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Niki Chickens

Niki Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    At first I thought my chicken was being pecked and it was skinned,bloodied places but have noticed it is spreading all around her waddle and comb? She is a Rhode Island Red. None of my others seem to be affected, only one hen. Her comb and waddle have also started turning pale. Anyone know what this could be? We just built a brand new coop. I haven't noticed any other changes in any of them. It has been very cold and wet here in Northeastern Oklahoma. But the coop is dry. They are all roosting on the high roost every evening. They free range all day. A hawk murdered one of my chickens 2 weeks ago but no other trauma that I know of. I just noticed this a week ago and noticed today it seems to be getting worse and spreading.
    Thank you for any help anyone can give me.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be from the other chickens pecking her comb and wattles. It will be bloody, then turn black when the scabs dry. It doesn't sound like fowl pox which is more of a warm weather disease spread by mosquitoes. You might post a picture to be sure. Frostbite can also be a problem in winter, and chickens will peck at it, so the picture would help.

3. Niki Chickens

Niki Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    My husband thinks she is molting. She won't even be a year old until April 18th. And molting in the dead of winter? these are our first chickens since we were kids. I am really enjoying them but I only have 5. 4 hens and and a rooster. Worried they will get sick or the hawks will get them this winter. they stick around the house most of the time. thanks for the info. I will try to post pics but it is not that easy for me....lol I am computer illiterate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by