Help - Mature Drake being overly frisky with 12 wk old additions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Faracas, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Faracas

Faracas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Tacoma
    Hi Duck-lovers,

I have a recently mature pair of Cayuga that I have raised since spring in a large enclosure w/water feature. I wanted to add some additional ducks and scored 2 Muscovy and 2 runners (12 wk old and beautiful) at a bird auction. They are healthy, and I tried to introduce them yesterday. The Cayuga drake immediately confirmed that I had a duck and drake of each type by forcing himself upon the new little ducks. He is significantly larger at this time and very... insistent, not giving the ducklings any chance to relax. I have removed the new ducks, but only have smaller cages to keep them in. Will the C. drake's amorous attentions injure the new ducks in any way, or should I just let them figure it out?

Thanks,

Cassandra

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Keep them separated until the little ones are more his size.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It's a dominance thing. It will get better when the pecking order has been established. I would keep them separated with a temporary fence in between so they can get used to each other. At the same time I would put them together for a short time daily so they can establish the pecking order. It will take its time. In my case it was 6 weeks, so be prepared.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whether dominance or purely sexual in nature, it may be dangerous to the young ducks. In the water feature, he may drown the young ducks while trying to breed them. His larger size and weight may also physically injure the smaller ducks. Keep him seperate until the new additions are larger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by