1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! May be in a malposition?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monte7, Apr 29, 2017.

1. monte7

monte7 New Egg

Apr 29, 2017
    [​IMG]I've been incubating Domestic Malards for a about 4-6 months. All have died during hatching or died prematurely. I have one that has magically survived. It pipped yesterday morning and started to zip that night but didn't finish. It is still breathing and moving. While its in a regular position, I checked on it a few minutes ago and noticed it's claw/foot was coming over and laying on top of its face. I would assist with that part but there is still one noticeable vein showing and I don't want to assist prematurely and have it not survive. What should I do? Or should I leave it be?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This device I am using does not tag, so please write a post and put an @ in front of

casportpony

WVduckchick

learycow

Debs Flock

Sally Sunshine

I may not have spelled everyone's name perfectly..... These are all hatchers, I believe. There is also a hatching forum you might want to ask for help on.

I am not a hatcher...

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @casportpony

@WVduckchick

@learycow

@Debs Flock

@Sally Sunshine

and I'll add a couple more:

@RavynFallen
    @Pyxis
    @WalnutHill
    @DwayneNLiz

1 person likes this.
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I would leave it... big vein means it's not ready... I think it wasn't trying to zip earlier, from the looks of the veins... ducks tend to 'punch around' quite a bit after pipping and before actually zipping... hang in there, they take their sweet time, lol...

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @monte7 , welcome to BYC!

A few questions...

What day is it at?

What type of incubator?

Fan or no fan?

What temp and humidity for days 1-25?

What temp and humidity now?

How many hours since external pip?

What I see is the big vein, and those worry me. I also see the claw, which I think means it's in the foot over head malposition, and when I get those they usually require help, which brings us back to that big vein. I think if it were mine I would recheck in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I agree with what has been said, and the other info Kathy asked for would be helpful too. Perhaps we can figure out why none of your eggs are hatching with that info.

1 person likes this.
  7. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    @monte7 any update?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by