HELP ME 9 month olds? I don't think so now.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by michpetea, Aug 28, 2010.

1. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked these birds up to help replace our small flock (racoon) holes. Three days, no laying... Are they old birds? Is there a chance that they aren't female? What exactly is the red one with a muff top? RIR cross?

We may have to rehome them.

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Both hens, should start laying when they get used to the new home.

3. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    when did you pick them up? I know when I picked up my new laying hens it took a few days for them to start laying again. Stress can make them stop for a while.

4. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Picked them up on Monday. Have another darker barred rock who has laid 2 days, and an RIR (scraggy looking) who has laid all three days. Just wondering if they are senior girls, not 9 month olds. My other RIR is much smaller and 8 months old. We also have two EE's and a chick (separate right now) I think the new RIR is 9 months and one barred rock is probably 9 months, but these girls.... geriatric?

5. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    I'm sorry but I have no idea about this one! Gorgeous Chickens though! [​IMG]

6. michpetea

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks.... I know the one girl is a Barred Rock, the other... still no clue. She has a small polish type crop, though it could be silkie....who knows? She has some substance to her, which is why I was afraid she was a he. NO crowing, but she rules the roost. The barred rock is second in command and protects the other barred rock like crazy.

7. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    top one looks like a silkie cross

8. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    I think they just need to get used to their new home.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The barred rock looks like she could be an older chicken. At nine months her comb should be red and plump. Moving a chicken often makes them quit laying for a bit, but she doesn't look like she's laying at all right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by