1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me! Baby chick pecked and injured leg.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mimir, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mimir

Mimir Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Two of my hens with chicks were flighting earlier, one of the hens pecked a chick and had it in its mouth, I ran out and stranged the hen to release the chick. I picked up the chick and it started bleeding all over my hands, I took it inside and put it in a box with a heat lamp and saw dust. I sprinked saw dust over the wound which is quite large. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but it's stopped most the bleeding it seems. It's sitting down panting now.

What do I do?! Should I seperate the other chicks and hens? They all seem to be getting on fine as normal as they have done the last 3 days.

Any advice?

EDIT: I looked two of the 3 hens up in their own coops so no more chicks are harmed.

UPDATE: I managed to get it to drink some water but one of its legs has been twisted backwards. It can only scrambled about on its backwards leg. How do I fix the leg?

LEG: Here is a link to the chicks leg. The pecked part is on the other side. I'm going to clean the wound gently and give it some scrambled egg. It is drinking which is a good sign.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7817/p1010086w.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's terrible. I don't know anything about fixing legs or I'd help you. Poor baby!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

YES separate right away! They will continue to try to get them.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Not sure of the leg but what you want to do is rinse off the cut well and put some antibiotic ointment on it. The stuff WITHOUT the pain reliever in it. Maybe even try to wrap gauze around the wound. You can rinse with a saline solution also.

5. Mimir

Mimir Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    I've seperated all the hens and chicks. They were fine for 3 days and the chicks were mingling with one another. Maybe one of the hens tried to steal a chick away from the other?

The pecked chick is still breathing.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I would splint the leg right away. Cardboard and bandaids or whatever seems appropriate for size of chick. If you wait too long you won't be able to have it mend properly.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

I'm sure that is what happened...one of the hens were trying to get the chick for lunch. Mine eat chippys all the time and they HAVE eaten baby chicks too so I learned the hard way [​IMG] Can you take pictures of the leg...maybe someone can help you a little better if they see what's going on.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I do not know about the leg but the wound needs to be clean out well with betadine or a sterile saline solution, stitches if necessary but at a minimum put a triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever in it on the wound and bandage if necessary.

Put some exlectrolytes and vitamins in the water, offer it a scrambled egg and important..make sure it is getting water and food if at all possible. You may have to drip water on its beak tip to get it to drink. It is going to be in shock and scared so you will have to help it.

Get some pictures of the leg and the wound and post so we can actually see the problems and geet a better idea of what the offer as suggestions. Also, note in your original post title "chick pecked, bleeding and injured leg. That may help get others with experience with legs looking at the post. [​IMG]

9. Mimir

Mimir Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    I've updated my first post with a picture of the leg if anyone can help.

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I couldn't really see much, but again I would splint it after cleaning it.
    Then I would restrict its movement by putting it in a small container for a day or more. You can put food and water so that it can self feed and drink, but I would still watch it carefully. It needs time to mend away from any other birds or chicks to heal.

I had a peachick that could not stand after hatching. She just layed on her side for almost 2 days. I padded a large glass with paper towels and placed her in to sit her up. Then I place feed and water within easy reach of her beak.
    It took her about 5-7 days, but she is great now and about to be introduced to the older birds soon.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by