1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me be realistic!! Should I keep him?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldie1234, Sep 15, 2015.

1. goldie1234

goldie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    I am new to chickens this year. We ended up with 6 Roos and culled all but two. We just bought a straight run of purebred Ameraucanas and some CCL's (2-6 weeks old). We should end up with more 5-7 Roos. We also may get a few black copper Marans as a straight run.
    I am only really set up to keep one Roos considering my space and number of chickens. I do have the ability to divide the coop/run but I want to reserve that for hatching, injury, introducing new members.
    We have a black EE we are going to cull. The problem is I also have an EE Roo that I really like. Next year we may want to hatch a few to try it. if I were to keep one it probably shouldn't be this EE. I would probably be better served keeping a purebred right? I would rather cull now if I'm going to.

Which breed would be the best roo to keep? Between these Roos: BBS Ameraucanas, CCL, this EE, and probably black copper Marans

My hens: barred rock, BSL, white leghorn, 3 EE, JG, red star. I should end up with 5-7 BBS Ameraucanas, 3 CCL, and maybe some black copper Marans.

Here is the EE and can't decided about. He is about 17 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Keep the rooster you'll be most happy with.

What good is a rooster you don't enjoy?

If you want purebred chicks, keep a purebred roo. If that doesn't matter to you, then keep you EE.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I would consider keeping two of the cockrels for now; if one dies, or turns into a jerk, you have a backup available. Mary

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I am never in favor of keeping roosters the first year. I think you get a happier flock with just hens. People get experience handling birds, and pullets get to grow up without juvenile rooster harassment.

Next year, if you want to hatch chicks, roosters are easy to find.

Mrs.K

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2 Experience will be a better teacher and advice-giver than any of us can be. Might I also add how wise it is to have already planned ahead for a separation area for any of those reasons you mentioned? This chicken lady didn't get her head together quite that fast and when she needed one she had to rush something together - a dog crate that was too small! Good thinking!

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Is there a reason you're buying straight run? I'd try to get my hands on already sexed chicks, especially with only being able to have 1 rooster. I bought already sexed and out of 14 only 2 turned out to be male, that's pretty good odds.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on your goals.
    I assume you want to make Olive Eggers seeing that you've procured BCM, CCL and Ameraucanas.
    If that is your goal, would keep a BCM roo.. or two. He can cover all your other blue egg layers and your marans girls.

Your cockerel adventures are just beginning with that 17 week old that you 'really like'....has he started harassing the pullets yet?
    Advice given to not keep males in your first year is valid, as they can be challenging for the faint of heart.

It's good that you have one separate enclosure already, but I wonder.... how you are handling the integration of the younger birds?
    Your 2-6 week olds are all in the split coop/run? ....... they can stay there until they are big enough to integrate into your existing flock.
    But where will you put the marans chicks?
    Most pure breed birds are only available as straight run.....
    ......from hatcheries and especially from breeders(which is really the best place to get pure breeds after very careful vetting)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  8. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: *headsmack* I didn't even think about that.

9. goldie1234

Jul 15, 2015
    Yes!! I got the first 5 from a feed store as sexed pullets. I wanted some good quality purebred and could only find straight runs. The older chicks will be in the separated area of the existing coop and run. I will keep the Marans (if they come through) separated until I intergrate the first two. I have a barn on my property and other options should I need extra time.
    Good points on holding off on a rooster until next year. Hopefully the Marans will come through!
    Thank you for the advise!

10. goldie1234

Jul 15, 2015
    Ok! The deed is done. We processed our 2 Roos. I was a little sad at first, but it was the right thing. I will say, it is strangely quite in the coop. Hopefully the hens will start laying now. They look ready and they are about 21 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by