Help me build a coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by theabee, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Too small

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. They'll do fine

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Perfect! A little extra room for growth.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. theabee

theabee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2013
    Okay. I am building a coop & run for 5 chickens (preferably)[​IMG]. How many eggs will they produce? They might be Easter Eggers or something like that... whatever they have at Agway in Ithaca, NY? I want 4-5 eggs a day.These will be my first chickens, that I will raise from chicks.

The dimensions I'm planning on are 3.5' x 4' for the coop (2.8 square ft per chicken) and 3.5' x 10' for the run (7 square ft per chicken). Is this too small? Probably...

It wouldn't be that hard too squeeze in a 4' x 4' coop (3.2 square ft per chicken) and 4' x 10' run (8 square feet per chicken).

It would involve a lot of work and a lot of money and may not be possible, but I might be able to move a gutter out of the way and make a 4' by 13' run (10.4 square feet per chicken in run but still 3.2 square feet per chicken in coop).

Smaller is way easier. [​IMG]
    What size would you suggest?

This is the area I'm planning to put it in: (the place to the left that's lower down)
    [​IMG]

Sorry the picture is tilted! Anyway, this is the gutter in the way. Because of it, I can't put the coop/run all the way against the house.
    [​IMG]

Also, I have a separate thread for this, but which do you suggest? Sand or DLM?
    I'm thinking of using course sand (not as dusty?) in the run and course sand mixed with granular sweet PDZ and DE in the coop. Sound good?

Here is my basic design if you were facing the fence... Sorry again that it's tilted! I'll give you all neck cricks! But I don't know how to fix it!!!! Sorry! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically, a wire box 4' x 10' x 2' with a 4' long coop on the right and a triangular 6' long wire roof on the left. Does it look predator proof? How should I make the bottom crack between ground and run safe?

Anyway, a lot of questions. Basically:
    How many eggs will 5 hens make?
    Size?
    Bedding?
    Predator proofing?

I'll definitely post pics to BYC when I get chickens and build my coop/run sometime next spring! [​IMG]

I'm a little, just a little, obsessed with CHICKENS! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

P.S.
    Please vote above!

P.P.S
    Does anyone know what kind of chickens they sell around Ithaca, NY? Maybe I'll make a separate thread...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    For 5 birds you need at least 20 square feet. More is better.

3. theabee

Oct 18, 2013
    Thanks! I accidentally pushed submit before I was done with my post so I went back and added A BUNCH for info for y'all to consider. [​IMG]

4. minmin1258

minmin1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was a truck driver before an injury grounded me. My point is I made many deliveries to docks that were similar t your area you plan t put the coop. Is there drainage there? You wouldn't wNt t drown your girls. Also I would elevate the coop off the ground a foot or two just t b on the safe side, the hens would also love that they would have a nice shady area t hide from the heat and it would extend the run area a little. I learned from experience it helps to b able to "walk" into the coop, makes cleaning and collecting eggs much more comfortable for you and gives your girls more "flapping" room on those cold winter days they don't want to go outside. The run itself doesn't need t b elevated just predator proof. I used chicken wire all around and over top of my coop and out on the ground 2'- 4' in all directions (to discourage digging varmints). I have bn told tho that I need t change the wall areas to a heavier gauge hardware type wire because coons, coyotes n possums can cut right through chicken wire if they want. I'm fairly new at raising chickens but have already learned a few lessons...lol...so if there's anything I can help with don't hesitate t look me up.

5. minmin1258

When you build the coop put hardware cloth on the underside of the 2x4s or other wood then thick 3/4" or more plywood on top of 2x4s for flooring. I've read on a few posts in other threads that sand and Dh is not good WINTER flooring material because it holds the cold and may freeze little feet. Everyone I've talked to said t use pine chips and straw and so far my girls love it!!! Was told t b sure never use cedar nor walnut wood chips, they smell great but can cause respiratory issues in birds.

6. minmin1258

Oh and 4x4 and 8x10 would make for happier girls. If not making tall enough t walk in use extra large hinges and make one side of coop so you can open it up to clean inside just be sure t also use a strong hasp lock on each corner of hinged wall to varmint proof it.
    Easter eggers are just OK layers do some research on here for best layers that are cold hardy and have good personalities. I have 18 birds (17 hens and Redman, a Rhode Island Red Cockerel that was supposed t b a pullet). My Easter Eggers don't lay but every other day and have "snappy" personalities compared t my other girls who give me an egg a day and come running to me t say hi every time I approach th run.

7. minmin1258

EGADS I ramble don't I...lol

8. theabee

Oct 18, 2013
    So, what types are all your hens?

9. minmin1258

I have ragamuffins mostly. Peaches and Miss Charlotte are leghorn/speckled Sussex crosses- not laying yet, Dumpling and Baby are three yr old black Marans- lay daily very large eggs, there's Prissy and Miss Jane Easter Eggers. Magellan, Margo Pollo, Ponce, Nina and Saint Marie are two yr old Red Sex Links they lay usually daily with one or two taking breaks now n again. Big Momma and Sassy are Araconas, Sassy lays daily but Big Momma is past her prime and is my broody hen. Then there's four Red Sex Links that I've had since the 16th, bought Pullets from Southern States Feed and seed in our area, they weren't pullets long. They are each laying tiny little eggs (normal for first timers) and they haven't earned their names yet. On average I get anywhere from 9-12 eggs daily. I've bn told Red Sex Links are not very cold hardy but my neighbor highly recommended them so I got a few from her then loved em so much picked up more when I found out they were selling them at SS.

10. theabee

Oct 18, 2013
    Hmm I was kinda wanting sex links because a rooster is not an option where I live... is there any kind of sex links that are really cold hardy?
    I want my chickens to:
    be cold hardy
    not go broody
    be friendly
    lay large eggs, and lots of 'em
    be sold at the agway in Ithaca NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by