Help me build a mixed flock of backyard pet laying hens!

Lilymilg

Hatching
May 5, 2021
Hi there! I am looking to build a backyard coop this summer in Florida with 3-5 laying hens. They will be pets so I care that they are sweet and calm for my kids, and I am intrigued by funky egg color (would love to have three or four different egg colors from them... at least one blue for sure). Can you give advice for what chickens would suit this mixed flock? I worry about pecking order barring the possibility of them meeting the personality/ egg color variety I want.

I have looked into:
- Ameraucanas
- Olive Eggers
- Marans
- Australorp

I am open to suggestions! Thank you for helping me put together a loving flock that will get along among themselves and with my family... and lay a rainbow!

While you're researching use the search icon in the top right corner and search open air coops, you'll find some great ideas for your climate! As far as the breeds you chose...I have an olive egger(maran mix) 11 weeks old, she's very curious and sweet, I also have a buff and blue orpington super sweet and easy breezy, my light brahma is a giant teddy bear, lol, and I'm loving the personality of my 11 week old welsummer, she makes the sweetest coo noises and is very friendly. There are some great folks here so don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have😁

Back
Top Bottom