Help me build an incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chloezoebob101, Feb 27, 2012.

1. i made an incubator out of a styrofoam cooler, but it didn't work out too well. So i decided to build another one. We have some pink insulator stuff, and some wood, as our main scraps. I am not sure how big to make it either. if i wanted to set 50 eggs in it, how big would it need to be?
    Also, anyone have creative ideas? like maybe a place to put the hatched chicks but where they are still in the incubator?
    i will be having more questions along the way too! thanks in advance!

2. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    do you plan on placing a egg turner in it or are you going to hand turn them?

3. egg turner

4. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I built mine with 2 shelves and use the bottom to put the new chicks.
    18"x18"x24"
    [​IMG]

5. i really like that! and i can't tell, is the light shining directly on some of the eggs?

6. builderone

Jul 8, 2011
    I never put a cover over the lights. i use one fixture with a y splitter to run 2 bulbs in case one blows.

7. ok! and you have never had a problem with the eggs cooking with the light like that?

8. builderone

Jul 8, 2011
    No problem yet. This is the first hatch in it and out of 30 eggs 29 made it to lock down no early quitters.

9. wow! good! i really like this design, it will help a lot when it comes to building it. right now though i am still figuring dimensions out and stuff :)

10. builderone

Jul 8, 2011
    I am thinking of building a hatcher if I do that I will run three turners in it. My hatcher is gonna be built like a coffee table so we can have it in the living room during hatching. That way I can watch net flix plus chick tv. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by