Help me chicken people

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmertom311, Nov 24, 2012.

1. farmertom311

farmertom311 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I am trying to figure out the breed of a rooster i used to have. I found it at one time a few years back and have forgot it. It was a clean legged dark brown egg layer. Had a deep red body with a dark green mane and tail feathers. Tail was long and sweeping. Best i remember it was some kind of rare russian breed. It was not a rhode island red, I have to say this to make sure nobody responds with this breed.

thanks in advance

2. peachweb

peachweb Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    A rooster that laid dark brown eggs? A very special rooster, indeed. LOL! Sorry, but couldn't help teasing you about the egg laying statement. (-: My guess is a Spangled Russian... but I don't know if they have a green mane (I couldn't find any pics of one with the green anyway).

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do you happen to have a pic of the chicken your seeking a breed for in hopes to get another like it?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    is there anything else you can remember such as leg color, did it have a beard, a crest, and what type of comb. all this info can also help eliminate other breeds.

5. farmertom311

farmertom311 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    straight comb, no beard or anything of the sort. can't remember leg color sorry.

6. farmertom311

farmertom311 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    sorry I only had the rooster but the breed description I found was that they laid a dark brown egg I think it said almost a chocholate colored egg.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, for chocolate or dark eggs look up Marans or Welsummers and see if any of them fit your boy. Marans come in several different colors, Wellies all look the same.

8. farmertom311

farmertom311 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Got the description wrong sorry guys here it is I finally found it its a Barnvelder. Should have said RED mane and green body my bad. thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by