HELP ME!!! chicks are dying! PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wolftalk, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Ok guys- im new here so this is my first post.... heres my story... sorry its kinda long [​IMG]

so i am house sitting for my friend with 60 chickens... she is trying to hatch some bantams in one pen. (there are both roosters and hens in the pen. but only banties) and they started hatching yesterday. there were 9 eggs originally. 2 hatched and died. i think that it had somrthing to do with the fact that there were 2 hens sitting on the 5 eggs that were in that nesting box. they had half thier head missing and so i burried them out and called the owners who told me to just let them be. so the next day i come back and i find a cute little black chick. healthy and alive. so i put it back and left. i came back 4 hrs later to check on thr little guy and i found him a bloodly mess in the bottom of the nesting box along with one other chick that hatched, but was dead and in the same condition. so i burried them. so i have 5 remaining eggs. so i decide to take all the hens out but one, and use a milk crate to keep her in and the other hens out. (i just made a little extension and put food and water in it.)

can someone tell me whats going on here? did i do the right thing? is there something eles i should do? i tried moving one hen and all 5 remaining eggs into another cage, but she just freaked out. so that option is ruled out. HELP!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING I REALLY APPRICIATE IT!

PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE [​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Alright, move ONE HEN with the remaining eggs out of the coop, into a place where any chicks that hatch cannot get back into the coop. All should be well. The other birds are cannibalizing the chicks (had this happen to me yesterday.. not pretty. [​IMG] ) and you must move momma and eggs out ASAP. [​IMG]

3. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    i did try to move them out but the hen i put with them just freaked out. but i did mannage to separate them. thank you so much for you help!!!! [​IMG]

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:It doesnt matter if she freaks out, just make sure she cant get back to the old nest site. All will be well. [​IMG]

5. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    the eggs wont go cold if she isnt sitting on them?

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:It takes about two hours for that to happen to the point where its deadly. She'll sit on them after about half an hour of being left alone.

7. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    ok but i really dont want these chicks to die... they arent even mine! THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!I SOOOOO APPRICIATE IT!

8. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Good luck, moving them is your best bet. If you leave them where they are, they'll end up dead the same way the others were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by