Help me choose a breed of chicken.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newchickenguy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    So I have it narrowed down to 3 different breeds, Plymouth white rock, Delaware or New Hampshire red. I want a breed that will lay 5 eggs a week. Which of the breeds will lay that or will none of them lay 5 eggs a week?

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    Nice try but no luck. I am set.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Many breeds will lay 5 eggs per week and more if you are getting them from a hatchery. Hatchery birds are not pure bred rather bred for production with the idea of the breed still showing through.

If your getting from a breeder than ask them as each line will be different in production depending how much laying ability was taken into account in breeding. I think any of those breeds mentioned would lay 4-5 eggs per week even as pure bred; 6-7 per week from hatchery.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ ChickenGuy I can tell by what breeds you have selected you have done your homework well. However I would like to make you aware of the best dual purpose bird out there. One that would probably not come on your radar. Also a breed that can handle extreme cold well and might be hard to obtain in your area. If it is available in your area I think you would be more than pleased with this bird.

They are not the best egg layers but they are the BEST dual purpose bird and can handle cold extremely well.
    Check out the link on the 100% Canadian bred Chantecler chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantecler_(chicken)

Chantecler
    [​IMG]
    A White Chantecler rooster, taken at the Abbey of Notre-Dame du Lac in 1926. Today's Chanteclers have much smaller wattles.​
    Conservation status
    Country of origin​
    Traits​
    Weight

Skin color
    Egg color
    Comb type​
    Classification​
    APA
    Notes
    Dual purpose breed
    Chicken
    Gallus gallus domesticus

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    I actually looked at the Chantler and I am sure I spelled that wrong lol. My problem with them is I have to coop my birds for various reasons and the descrption says they are anxious in confinement. Like I said I have chosen my breeds I just would like to find a breeder that sales one of those 3. Also I would like to know if they can lay 5 eggs a week. I don't really want to go down to 4 as my birds will be working birds for both eggs and meat. No naming the chickens if you get what I mean lol.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

All birds lay 5 eggs a week, it is customary to lay a egg every 27 hours, and for meat, I would rather use something like Ross or Cornish, egg laying chicks tends to be little tough as leather by the time they are too ols to perform

8. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think all chickens lay 5 eggs a week, an example is a dark Cornish, one web site says they only lay about 2 eggs a week. Also this isn't a thread on cxr vs non cxr. However I am no chicken master so I don't know really how many eggs certain chickens lay.

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ ChickenGuy In a perfect world you may obtain your goal. Problem is this is not a perfect world. No matter which breed you select you are rolling the dice with the genetic make up of each and every individual bird.

In breeding, genetics the age and current health of the parents of the off spring are all factors that are weighed in on every bird in the flock you select. I wish you luck with your flock. However experience tells me you have to except reality no matter which breed you select. There are good and bad birds in every hatch regardless of how much research you do.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok so none of those 3 breeds will lay 5 eggs a week?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by