Help me choose a chicken breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tinarose2001, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tinarose2001

tinarose2001 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2013
    I'm tired of playing the 'is it a roo or is it a hen' game! Our space is too small to keep more than one rooster and I'd prefer not to have any but my rate of roosters is very high every time I choose more chicks. Sooo....I really like my Red Sex Links for brown egg laying, I'm wondering if there is another 'Sex Linked' bird that lays white eggs? I'd like a little egg color variety but I didn't know if there were any breeds that could be sexed with near 100% accuracy that also lay white eggs. Any insight you could provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    If you don't want the hassle of chicks that become roosters why don't you buy some point of lay pullets?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    California Whites which are a cross between California Gray roosters and White Leghorn hens are apparently sex-linked to feather sex at hatch.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You could also buy sexed pullet chicks. Yes, it's possible that you'll get a whoopsie-roo in there, but I've only ever had one surprise roo out of hundreds of chicks ordered.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know about white eggs, but I fyou are wanting a colorful egg basket. You could get crested cream legbars, they are an auto sexing breed and lay blue eggs. But I have never seen anyone sell anything but eggs so most likley you would have to hatch you own eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by