help me choose a hatchery!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    I want mottled houdan. maybe some frizzles.

Ideal is sold out of mottled houdan... (they are $2.18 each)

Cackle has them. ($2.12 each) if i get 25, they are ($1.63), they dont have frizzles.

Mcmurray has frizzles ($3.44 each), the houdans are ($2.54 each).

SOOOO i think i should go with Cackle? They only require 15 min. chicks, but if i get the 25 houdans, they are only $1.63. And i could sell some at the feed store. What do you all think????

I have one frizzle cochin pullet, so i should be ok with that.

oh and one more question! if i order an odd number, such as 27, you think i'll get packing peanuts? i want 25 minimum, cause its cheaper in the long run

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  2. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I just ordered from cackles monday they are very nice people and my chicks are supposed to be in next friday but its my first order so have to wait and see how they are when in but most people i talked to have been pleased with them

3. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    mrsbell i have ordered from Cackle many times and have always gotten GREAT results never had any mortality (except with neighbors dogs that is). [​IMG] On the other hand i have ordered from mcmurray before and always had good results to start but about 6 months of age they start killing each other eating the insides from the rear-end have no clue why thought i was doing something wrong [​IMG] my Cackle birds didnt do it and i havent changed the way i raise them. i hope this helps and good luck with your new chics

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have ordered from Cackle and would recommend them to anyone. We didnt order chicks but we ordered geese (7) four ducks and four turkeys they arrived very quickly and were all alive The packing peanut they through in was a female pekin duck so I was pleased When one of the turkeys (arrived very tiny) died I called and they credited our account immediately. I think they are very nice people to deal with.

5. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Wow that had to of been a more then interesting ordeal [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    my coworker got an order of 25 mixed cochin bantams from McMurray on Monday when she got back to the school from the post office 11 were already dead and the rest were very weak. During the night and next morning 10 more had died. Out of the 25 ordered, 1 extra rare and packing peanuts she has 7 left today.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I like Meyer hatchery best but I do not think they have Houdans. Cackle is where 5 of my BA's came from and they are great birds.

texaschick-a-dee my coworker got an order of 25 mixed cochin bantams from McMurray on Monday when she got back to the school from the post office 11 were already dead and the rest were very weak. During the night and next morning 10 more had died. Out of the 25 ordered, 1 extra rare and packing peanuts she has 7 left today.

As to people getting chicks and them arriving dead or dying.... this is not the time of year to being shipping chicks. It is way too cold for them at ground level much less in the cargo hold of a plane. They need constant 95 degrees their first week of life. Try not to put the blame on the hatchery when it is not always their fault.​

8. chickie_momma

chickie_momma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    I personally love meyers but I dont know if they have what you are looking for...

9. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    Quote:As to people getting chicks and them arriving dead or dying.... this is not the time of year to being shipping chicks. It is way too cold for them at ground level much less in the cargo hold of a plane. They need constant 95 degrees their first week of life. Try not to put the blame on the hatchery when it is not always their fault.

Oh wow! I blamed the hatchery?? where [​IMG]

The chicks came from McMurray and I agree with you this isn't a good time of year to ship. Shouldn't the hatchery know that?

10. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Quote:As to people getting chicks and them arriving dead or dying.... this is not the time of year to being shipping chicks. It is way too cold for them at ground level much less in the cargo hold of a plane. They need constant 95 degrees their first week of life. Try not to put the blame on the hatchery when it is not always their fault.

I agree that its really to cool to have chicks shipped right now. However I honestly feel McMurrays chicks are not as healthy as other Hatcheries this is strickly my opion based on my experiance with them I have lost EVERY bird I have ever bought from them. (ABSOLUTLEY NO DISRESPECT INTENDED)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by