Help me choose a roo!

BearSwampChick

Chicken Sensei
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Marysville, OH
So, if it turns out that I have 3 or 4 roos out of my chicks, which one should I keep? I know I definitely have a SLW, then there might be a BR, a RIR and a speckled sussex. I can only keep one since right now I only have 16 chicks.

Susan

Keep the one that likes to be around you the most and that is the nicer of the bunch, if it was me.

How old is your Roos?

I have found that no matter how sweet a roo is you will find out exactly how he will be when sexually mature in between 5-6 months!

If you can't wait till they are that old I would go with BR

Quote:
They're only 5 weeks, so it's a little early, I know. I'm leaning toward the BR or the SS, if they turn out to be boys. The SLW seems to be a little bully already, or maybe that's just normal. I'm new at this, so have no idea.
roll.png

Well if you have to pick while they are young I would say BR!

BR roos are normally nice to hens & humans!

This is really an indivualized thing so, the ideal thing to do is wait till older ((or get rid of all but, 2 than wait & see how they are when older))

I can't say I ever had a roo that was mean to us but, they were to rough on the girls

Joanne

Quote:
Normally I think they are but I had a BR Roo that was horrible and came at me and use to chase my dogs and jump on them and pull their ears. I guess it is all in their genes (not jeans LOL)

Well, it seems that roosters(and chickens) are just like humans--each one has a distinct personality and we have to wait until it is fully developed to decide if we like that particular one or not. Guess I'll just have to wait it out!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom