Help me choose a roo!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BearSwampChick, May 20, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    So, if it turns out that I have 3 or 4 roos out of my chicks, which one should I keep? I know I definitely have a SLW, then there might be a BR, a RIR and a speckled sussex. I can only keep one since right now I only have 16 chicks.

Susan

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Keep the sweetest one and the one you like the best. It's always good to have a roo who is friendly around people.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Keep the one that likes to be around you the most and that is the nicer of the bunch, if it was me.

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    How old is your Roos?

I have found that no matter how sweet a roo is you will find out exactly how he will be when sexually mature in between 5-6 months!

If you can't wait till they are that old I would go with BR

5. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:They're only 5 weeks, so it's a little early, I know. I'm leaning toward the BR or the SS, if they turn out to be boys. The SLW seems to be a little bully already, or maybe that's just normal. I'm new at this, so have no idea. [​IMG]

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Well if you have to pick while they are young I would say BR!

BR roos are normally nice to hens & humans!

This is really an indivualized thing so, the ideal thing to do is wait till older ((or get rid of all but, 2 than wait & see how they are when older))

I can't say I ever had a roo that was mean to us but, they were to rough on the girls

Joanne

7. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Thanks everyone for your input! Joanne, I think your idea sounds like a good one. That's probably what I will do.

Susan

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Normally I think they are but I had a BR Roo that was horrible and came at me and use to chase my dogs and jump on them and pull their ears. I guess it is all in their genes (not jeans LOL)

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

... keep the one you like the most [​IMG]

10. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Well, it seems that roosters(and chickens) are just like humans--each one has a distinct personality and we have to wait until it is fully developed to decide if we like that particular one or not. Guess I'll just have to wait it out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by