💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello fellow chicken lovers!

I have been wanting an x pen for my chickens for awhile now. I want to be able to let them on fresh green grass but still have them somewhat protected. And I also don't want them to stray into the woods. What do you think of this pen? Is it tall enough to keep them in?

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-wire-dog-exercise-pen-step/dp/125048#

- Jessa

Yeah, I know. :) But thanks. So....would this be worth it at all?
I use something similar for my brooder chicks (though with smaller spaces between the wire) when they are ready to go outside for the first time, though I never leave them unattended. If you are planning to leave your chickens outside in this pen, you are better off getting or building a movable tractor. 😊 I built mine for about $100, you can probaby do it cheaper. I have to use hardware cloth on EVERYTHING, as we have mongoose (daytime predators) that can both dig, climb and reach into anything bigger than 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Mine is 6 feet long x 4 feet wide x 3 feet tall. Works well.

Have you considered electric poultry netting?

I've got Premier 1's 48" net with a solar charger and am quite pleased with it.

It's no protection from aerial predators, but great for ground-based predators. It's easy to move/reconfigure and the ladies mostly stay in (Chipotle, the California White, can fly out and back in when she wants to).

Back
Top Bottom