help me confirm breeds of my 7 week old chicks, Please :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gstone, Jun 1, 2010.

1. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    I've posted pics for the top three girls in the past and gotten some good feed back about their possible breeds. I know Summer is a BO, and Jasmine on the bottom couldn't deny her Polish Hen roots if she tried. But I'm still not sure what the top two girls might be. Golden Laced Wayndot was suspected at one point... but I wonder..... Ideas and comments welcome - I love to show off my girls!!!

[​IMG]
    this is Novella ~ her comb looks just like her sisters below

[​IMG]
    This is Alli Mae. She looked very 'chipmuncky' as a fuzzy chick.

[​IMG]
    Summer my Buff Orp.

[​IMG]
    And finally Jassy (Jasmine) What kind of Polish Hen would you call her?

Thanks peeps, peace.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    the polish I want to say a bad silver Laced polish

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Novella and Mae are Dark Cornish,You know for Summer and Jassy.I think Jassy's lacing will change a litle so she will not be soo dark but her shape,crest and beard are very nice.

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Quote:ditto... and jassy is lovely!

5. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Dark Cornish? I'll have to look that up. Thank you for you input! And thank you for your kind words on Jassy [​IMG] She is lovely, isn't she [​IMG] I love getting answers to questions on here!!

6. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Okay, I just googled Cornish Hens (Dark) and it sounds like this is more of a meat bird.... is this true. One site said it would lay hard shelled eggs, and another said it was a poor layer. I was told I was getting a mix of layers! [​IMG] I hope I wasn't miss led. [​IMG]

7. KristenR

KristenR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Centralia, WA
    Well, the top two girls do look like Dark Cornish. To answer your question about egg laying...the cornish were traditionally bred as fighting birds many many years ago (their name used to be Indian Game) but in more recent history were used to produce meat birds because of their heavy muscling (which has become almost grotesquely amplified in some cases). Whether or not they are good layers depends on the strain you get and how much the breeder selected for that trait. That goes for just about any breed. However, this is not a breed reknowned for its egg laying ability. At least you got females though.

Funny that they would send you a Polish too - another breed that can be a good layer but it is not necessarily what they are bred or known for.

Kristen

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    I am just so surprised by what they have sent me under the guise of being layers! Thank you for your input! I'm 2 months in to this now - and I'm quiet fond of the birds, what ever they maybe.... but I'm a bit ticked at the feed store! Again, thank you! [​IMG]

9. Tap Dancing Chickie

Tap Dancing Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Perry County PA
    JASSY is an gorgeous & incredibly cute little sweetheart. I am in [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by