Help me convince my husband...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EllieJ, Mar 2, 2013.

1. EllieJ

EllieJ New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks in advance for any advice and/or words of encouragement! Interested in urban chicken keeping, trying to convince the spouse this is reasonable and do-able for two "city kids" with no gardening and absolutely no poultry experience.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are alot of city kids turned poultry keepers on this site. Not everyone grows up on a farm and learns to tend the animals. [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Elliej, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! I agree with the advice of sumi - the benefits will far outweigh the negatives. He will fall in love with them and the fresh eggs. Hope he comes around. Best of luck!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    [​IMG] Go to the search button @ the top, and put in "Urban Chickens" , you'll find a lot of helpful info, including experiences from others in the same situation. You'll probably want to go with bantam breeds (small chickens), for a small yard, although some people do keep "standard" size chickens, but keep their flock size down to maybe 3 chickens.

Having Chickens with ZERO experience is totally doable - especially with this site, just make sure to do your research first!! Happy reading!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by