Help me cook this chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cestial225, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    The first bird we processed was a 14 week old silky cockerel. We processed him and baked him right away. The flavor was good but he was tough as hell. The second bird we processed was a 20 week old bantam cochin cockerel, I let that one rest in the fridge for a few days and then I did a brine. it was better than the first bird, but the meat was still kinda stringy and the dark meat was so tough no one but he dog would eat it. I have one more bird in the freezer another bantam cochin processed at 20 weeks old. I dont want this bird to go to waste. How the heck should I cook it? I just hatched out a dozen of a heritage breed, cant remember what kind right now, that I am planning on butchering all the cockerels but if the meat is gonna be tough and horrible every time it is not worth it.

Help me make this last bird a good one.

Thanks!!!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You need to slow cook it if you don't like it stringy. It's the only way to make them tender.

They are really good if cooked slowly!

3. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    so crock pot on low for how long? What should I put in there with it?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

8 hours is plenty.

Onion, garlic, olive oil (or coconut oil), your favourite spices and a little water should do it.

5. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks so much! I will be trying that this week :)

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, 8 hours should be plenty. I do it a bit differently though. I’m not saying Aoxa is wrong, just that I do it a bit differently. I cut the chicken into serving pieces though with a bantam you probably don’t have to if it will fit in the crock pot. I add a bay leaf, a few peppercorns, rough chopped celery, onion, and carrot, and some herbs. Usually basil and oregano, sometimes also parsley and or thyme. Maybe chives or garlic. Whatever herbs or veggies you want or have handy. Totally your choice.

The big difference in that I don’t add just a little water, I cover the bird with water. When you finish, you have a decent broth. Take the fat off the top then use that broth to cook rice or maybe some veggies.

That chicken should taste good with whatever herbs and spices you use plus that broth is a real bonus.

7. hfitch

hfitch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Peck, Michigan
    Best recipe ever for tough, old birds. Handed down from my grandma who never wasted a thing!

Melt approximately 3/4 stick of real butter in a fry pan on med. Heat. Cut the chicken into pieces and wash. Shake off excess water and dredge in flour with salt and pepper. Place in the frying pan and fry on both sides til golden brown. Remove from frying pan and place in a covered roasting pan. Put a little chicken broth in the frying pan and swish around to get out all the yummy bits and dripping. Pour this into roaster also along with some more chicken broth. I usually put enough broth in to cover maybe the bottom 1/4 of the chicken pieces. Roast in the oven covered for 3 hours on 350 degrees. Be sure to check every hour too make sure there is still broth in the pan, add a little as needed. When done cooking broth should be reduced to about half in the pan. Remove chicken to plate, cover with foil and allow to "rest" for about 20 minutes. Strain the left over broth into a saucepan. for gravy. You may or may not have to thicken it with a little cold chicken broth and cornstarch. This makes the best chicken gravy I have EVER had! Enjoy :)

8. cestial225

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I cooked my bantam in the crockpot for 8 hours and it came out perfect! So yummy! And I have enough broth left over to make a super yummy soup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by