Help me count the days :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RCRIR, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    So, this is my first hatching. I think that tomorrow is day 18, and will be time to move the eggs from the incubator to the hatcher. But, since this is my first go around, I wanted to ask a few questions.

First -- is this day 18 for me? (Thursday the 22)

On the evening of 3/4 I put 26 eggs in my new Genesis.
    On 3/14 I candled them and was quite surprised to find that many of them had dark spots ... that moved. I kept 22, and discarded 4 that were clear. I have not candled since.

I think that tomorrow 3/22 is day 18. But .. do I move the eggs in the morning, or in the evening? Also, lockdown. What does that mean really? If the humidity in the hatcher gets low, am I not allowed to open it and add water?

I guess those are my questions for now.

Oh -- they are just silly backyard flock eggs. Nothing expensive for my first try :)

[​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think you are very clever to use eggs from the backyard hens. Eliminates the issues of shipping that can really complicate incubating. So you have a great shot at hatching some eggs here!!

Lock down, morning or evening , your choice. It won't change the outcome.

Lockdown, yes, generally keep the humidity up about 60% and avoid opening the hatcher. Have a way to add water if necessary without opening the hatcher. Openingthe hatcher releases all that humidity you have been trying to create. Plan ahead how you will add the extra water. Small sponges in small jar of warm water works well, all depends on your hatcher shape and size.

Have your brooder ready to receive the fluff balls, just in case any arrive early.

I am no good at the day count, sorry. The count depends on the hour set. Always messes me up!

3. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    OK -- I'm going to cross my fingers and pretend that tonight (3/22) is day 18 and I will move them into the hatcher.

[​IMG]

4. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    [​IMG]

5. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I've seen that and I'm so slow that I still don't understand when 'day 18' is.

6. mayberrygirl

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    If you set your eggs before noon that is day 1 - if you set your eggs after noon then start counting the next day.

I set mine the morning of 3/5 so today is day 18, if I had set them after noon then tomorrow would be day 18.

7. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    OH ... so I set mine the evening of 3/4 -- so we are on the same schedule? I think today was my 18 -- I also think you just confirmed that for me. ::: hugs :::

Thank you !!

RC

8. mayberrygirl

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Yes. Your welcome.

9. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I set 26. 21 made it to day 12, 17 made it to day 18.

I can't wait until Sunday !

10. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I have a pip :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by