Help me decide how to split them up please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dapper, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I have ordered 24 chicks from Ideal. They will arrive here in April. I have to wait on the Barnevelders. I ordered the following: (4 of each)

Ameraucanas (EE's)
    Australorps
    Barnevelders
    Delawares
    Barred Hollands
    Salmon Faverolles

I am going to build 3 coops each measuring 4x8 giving me 32 square feet per coop. So only 8 hens per coop. I have never built anything like this in my life, and I am very unsure of myself being able to build a large walk in coop.

So how would ya'll seperate each breed to go in each coop?

Also, they will be all sharing the same run. If you put 8 hens in each coop will they always go back to their original coop?

2. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I'm not sure how to divide them up but I can offer a bit of advice on coop construction. I bought a framing kit that includes all of the angle joints/connections, and well as building instructions. You vary the size of the building based on the length of 2 x 4's you use. No angles to cut! It really helped me alot and allowed me to customize it to my needs. It was much easier than framing it out on my own!

Richard

3. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    All the kits that I have seen have a different cost per square footage. Where did you find one that you can change the size without having to order 2 or more kits?

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    One thing I know is that I think you should seperate the delewares and the salmon faverolles because I know some people had issues with mean/ rough delewares, whereas faverolles tend to be mellow and easily picked on. I think that the EE's could hold their own against the Delewares though.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have to agree that the faverolles need to be separated with another mellow breed. They are very docile and tend to be picked on.

6. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Richard, do you remember where you found this framing kit? Sounds like just the help I'm going to need.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:If you build 3 coops available, the chickens will choose which coop they roost in, if all in the same run at the same time they will go to whichever coop they choose, my bet is most will go to one and a few will go to the other two, they want to be together its that flock mentality. Chickens do not know that more than 8 will overcrowd the coops. Same as they all want to lay in the same nest box, doesnt matter that there are 10 exactly alike, the will crowd into the same box, or stand outside of box squacking till the one in the box leaves.

8. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I got mine from www.northerntool.com Search "framing kit" and you will see a couple. I got the cheaper one but even the more expensive one is still cheap. Once you see what they are you can then search for even more online. I tried to keep all of my dimensions based on 4' or 8' to make it easier to cover with minimal waste and cutting. I was amazed how sturdy the thing finished out. You definitely need at least two people working on construction but it was not too difficult.

Richard

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by