Help me decide: Ideal or Privett?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Mike32, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I am planning on placing an order for some Delaware and dark Rhode island red pullets. I'm thinking of ordering from one of these hatcheries since they are closest to me. Which of these have better quality birds? Is there a better place out there? I would actually prefer buying from a breeder but I want chicks right now not really hatching eggs. Thanks

2. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    It's getting pretty late in the season for chicks...do either have any available?

I had good luck with Ideal...straight runs gave me 2 roos and 3 hens per breed I ordered. All arrived safely and are still kicking.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  3. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I checked ideal and they still have some available. Not sure about privett yet though. I've heard some good reviews about ideal but not sure yet. Privett is a little closer to me.

4. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Closeness doesn't really matter unless you are going to pick them up. I received mine the day after they hatched....and Ideal is halfway across the states from me.

5. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    The feed store I buy from gets their chicks from Privett. So far, the 12 pullets I've purchased from them have ALL been pullets. And all in great health. [​IMG]

- Kim

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I once bought a feed store duck from Privett. The duck was healthy. However, I called to ask a question and the people at Privett were rude and unhelpful.

7. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    Cackle! Well atwoods gets all their chicks from ideal and I had 12 different breeds. Everyone of them thrived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by