Help me decide - keep 1 or both roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Aug 3, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Nine speckled sussex, of which 2 are definitely roos (2 others with slightly suspicious-to-me looking tails, but no particular difference in combs/wattles - for now I will continue to assume they're hens). I want to be able to hatch more SS chicks next spring.

I know which roo I definitely want to keep (Pants, who is less of a noodge as well as bigger and broader than Itchy). However, I am afraid that if I eat Itchy now, something will happen to Pants over the winter and I will end up with zero roos next year [​IMG]

I do have extra pens where a lone roo could be housed (either permanently, or rotated with the other), although there's no way to prevent him seeing the hens and other rooster from there.

What would you do?

Thanks for all opinions,

Pat

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Get 16 more hens and keep em both.
    That is a 15 to 1 ratio, which is perfect.[​IMG]

3. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    I'd say keep him, but that's probably just because I don't want him to be dinner :) Sorry for my distorted input [​IMG]

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Keep him in case anything happens to the other. Why not? If it becomes a problem, you can always eat him. [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I had the same problem and decided to keep both roosters. The keep each other company in the bachelor pad and free range together during the day. So far it's working out pretty well.

6. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks everyone for the input!

I was LOL at the suggestion to get more hens for the second one. Very creative [​IMG] My husband would kill me [​IMG] Also, I like 'em, but I dunno as I like 'em *that* much, feed bill wise [​IMG]

ILoveTravis, I regret to report that part of the reason I *have* these chickens is to be able to eat some of them (instead of morbidly obese factory-farmed things).

The reason I'd rather eat him sooner rather than later if that's what's going to happen is I'd rather do it whilst the eatin' is better and I've not put as much feed into him, you know?

Redoak, how old are yours? And, can they still see the hens? I'm sort of leaning towards doing that, but I am just a little skeptical of how it would work out, at least for me...

Thanks,

Pat

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My roosters are 5 months old and can see the hens while free ranging and at night/morn in the coop. The hens I keep in a large run and allow the roosters to free range together. The coop has a chicken wire divider, roosters on one side, hens on other. The roosters get along fine, and ignore the hens for the most part. Occationally they will walk around the hens run, especially if one of the hens is squaking loud.

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The next time you go to the feed store, bring your husband with you. Only be sure they have baby chicks for sale at that time. Walk in to JUST LOOK at the chicks. Bet you take home some baby chicks and won't even have to ask. Especially if you bring a child or grand children. Works every time I bring my DW. And the treats she gets them. As for the feed bill, let your co-workers know you have fresh eggs and you will need more hens.

9. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    At the moment I have 2 roosters and a 1 hen in one run together and they don't even fight. Actually its kinda the other way around the two roosters are buddy buddy and the hen is kinda a loner.

10. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, I think y'all have convinced me that I will try keeping both roos. (I am posting this publicly so that I can't keep waffling and changing my mind [​IMG]) If it starts not working out I will go ahead and make Itchy soup. I guess one other advantage of keeping both is that I could divide the hens in the spring and hatch some chicks from *both* roosters. Genetic diversity and all that [​IMG]

Thanks very much for the input!

(e.t.a.- very funny Panner [​IMG] Actually I don't know if there's anywhere that actually HAS chicks in stores -- all the feedstores I know of around here, you have to order in advance, and your selection is pretty much limited to broilers, sex-links or white rocks. If feed stores around here had fluffy chicks on display I would be in serious trouble already [​IMG])

Now, to decide what to do about the four Buff Chanteclers, two of which I don't even really have a good clue whether they're boys or girls...

Pat

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by