Help me decide on a rooster breed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by randm, Nov 27, 2013.

1. randm

randm New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    I have a mix of Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, I am wanting a rooster so I can hatch to replace old layers and expand my flock without having to buy replacement chicks. I am looking for high egg production, preferably brown eggs, I am thinking a RIR rooster to get some black sex links but wanted to hear some other ideas first. Thanks.
    Matt

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That would depend on what breed hens you have.

3. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    I think a Rhode Island Red would be great or a Orphington would be good. [​IMG] If you want a rooster breed who's probably going to be great to you girls, I would get a Black Astrolorp. Mine is great to my girls and very protective and defensive when it comes to predators.

4. randm

randm New Egg

Nov 27, 2013
    ChickenCanoe,
    Rhode Island Red and Barred Rocks.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Then you'll probably want to stick with one of those. RIRs normally lay more eggs so you may want to go that way. RIRs are also often the bullies of the flock.
    If you don't care if your flock is pure bred, I like a large Mediterranean breed for flock protection. Minorca, Black Penedesenca, Catalana, Andalusian or White Face Black Spanish.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

First, any non barred rooster over your barred hens will give you sex link chicks. Doesn't have to be a RIR.

I've heard so many bad things about RIR rooster's temperaments on this board, I'd be hesitant to get one. Haven't had one myself, but they seem to have a high incidence of aggression. Not something I will tolerate or breed into the next generation.

I'm liking the idea of the buff Orpington rooster. I've seen several BO/RIR crosses on here over the years and they're very nice looking birds, the females seem to lay well and the males are meaty for the table. I've also seen BO/BR sex links and the hens are so pretty! The males are quite striking, also, usually mix of buff and black with the barring on top. Plus, buff orp roos have a good rep as far as temperament. And, eye candy!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by