Help me decide one or the other Barred Rock Roosters

poodlepill

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Southern Illinois
14 weeks old, both still "nice" boys, should I wait till I see who will get grouchy? I have a guy wanting one of them and my RIR roo I should let one go while I have someone wanting right.

Rooster #1) I have to say has a a bit more "style" more upright and perkier tail. Has larger wattles too.

49869_028.jpg

Rooster #2) Is larger in size and has smaller wattles, not as "perky"

49869_029.jpg

Here they are both together

49869_019.jpg

What are you keeping them for? Just to produce fertile eggs? Are you trying to raise chickens for production? Are you wanting to breed towards a standard? Do you just want to have a roo around? I ask because the answers to these questions can change the advice people will give you. And I think the answers would quite surprise you...

Now, I don't show or raise Plymouth Rocks but I have a really good friend who has exhibition quality barred Plymouth Rocks (absolutely gorgeous birds) so I'm passingly familiar with the standard on them. And, of your two roos, #2 is closer to the standard than #1. While #1 may have "a bit more "style" more upright and perkier tail", the APA Standard calls for a tail that is "carried at an angle of thirty degrees above horizontal and forming no apparent angle with back". Roo #1 carries his tail at almost a 90 degree angle. On overall conformation, I think #2 is much closer to the standard than #1. Also, #2's barring is better defined and consistent all over his body.

My vote is #2.

Thank you for your response. Interesting, after I started really studying them and comparing them you can really see the subtle differences.

Ok so really I was just keeping a roo around and figured I should keep the better of the two that's really all I was thinking.

I actually have 3 heavy breed roos to choose from 2-SLW, 3-BO and the 2-BR. After I single out my one roo out of the groups then I will pick the more docile and nice to the hens for the resident Roo. I like to hear a Rooster (not 8) and watch him interact and take care of his hens.

Thank you Bearsfan,

Yes #2 IS more beefy. My "eyeball" likes the more upright/stylish boy but my gut tells me go with the heavier/larger boy. I also figure #2 boy smaller wattles mean less chance for them freezing in the winter?

I'd go for personality if you don't have worries about breed standards. I have a mutt roo for protection of the flock, and I love hearing him crow. I agree with the other poster who said one to listen to is PLENTY!! I can't remember who has it posted here, but there is a gal who has tips on keeping a rooster from becoming aggressive, and it makes sense. Basically, she says to pretend that YOU are the dominant rooster, and don't allow your rooster to display behaviors like HE is the top rooster. So far, her advice has made for our rooster staying EXCELLENT as a protector, and still docile enough to live freely in the yard with our pets and children.

Well they are both gorgeous, of course, but I critiqued your two the same way I initally do all of my boys - the comb. Why? I don't know... The 2nd one it looks more crooked than the other. Is this a disqualification or something that can be inherited? I've given away otherwise gorgeous birds (we're not talking show quality, mind you) because of a crooked comb...

Oh, gosh, this is hard for me. I like the perkier of the two, for flash (those tailfeathers).

I also keep a rooster "just 'cause." He's an EE, so obviously I'm not into breed standards. I may keep a second roo, if one of my 4 straight run Sebrights (let's hope it's only one!) is a cockerel. ...sure wish I knew when I'd be able to tell...

Yours are both handsome fellas!

Back
Top Bottom