help me decide what to do with this space

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by meredithfp, Jul 2, 2011.

1. meredithfp

meredithfp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out how to make this space accessible to my little flock.

[​IMG]

I've got that chicken wire up temporarily. On the left is four foot high chain link and on the right is the side of my house. Here are the options:

1 -- Run poultry netting across the top from the side of the house to the chain link, creating a four foot high roof. The problem -- cleaning would be a hunched-over difficult job. Poultry netting isn't the greatest but this is just for the daytime anyway and anything else would be too expensive for such a large area.

2 -- Make the chain link taller and forgo any kind of roof enclosure. The problem -- no protection from predators, but again, this is just for during the day. Also, how the heck do you make chain link fencing taller?

3 -- Dividing the space and using some combination of these treatments. The place where the dryer vent comes out of the wall is a pretty natural division.

Advice? I'd love to give my girls a little more room to roam.

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I would run a firring strip under the eave of the house and staple bird netting to it and run it down to the fence. Tall enough to walk under and keeps the overhead predators out.

3. meredithfp

May 22, 2011
    Thanks for the response. This is what I'm leaning towards doing. I just wasn't sure if I should consider securing the run a little better. Seems like lots of people have chicken runs that are as secure as the coop. Mine barely keeps my dog out but a raccoon or anything else could get in there pretty easily. I'm hoping that the threat of my dog keeps the predators away.

4. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    You can get chain link dog kennel panels that are tall. Maybe you could incorporate something like that.

5. elevan

My coops are "chicken fort knox" but during the day they free range over 4 acres of pasture with my goats and guard llama...haven't lost any during their days out so I guess I'm more lenient with stuff like that.

6. meredithfp

May 22, 2011
    Great! That's just the kind of thing I need to hear! They seem pretty safe during the day and the coop is really tight. I think the dog helps some, too.

7. elevan

Just make sure they have plenty of places to hide. In my area their biggest threat comes from above during the day. My girls are very good at taking cover when they suspect an overhead predator and if they are out in the open field they are right next to either a goat or the llama.

8. meredithfp

May 22, 2011
    Funny all the different advice you get. On the predators and pests forum I'm getting all kinds of warnings. Your goat and llama probably help a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by